Google Chrome OS
Jul 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Jul 8, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 21
I hope I will be able to play games on it.

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 21
Very interesting development. I wonder if they're going to create or adapt an office suite to go along, especially one that integrates email and calendar support. One that integrates with Android, as well. That might make a critical difference.

I also wonder if Google will branch out, yet again, into offering enterprise support for Chrome in the workplace. That would really shake things up.

A side benefit is that hardware manufacturers might start taking *nix drivers seriously.

Microsoft might sleep well tonight, but the heat will go up increasingly over the next couple of years. They better pray that Windows 7 is received better than Vista. Otherwise, their only option might be to finally dump the legacy code and migrate to a GUI on top of a *nix to stay afloat.

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 21
Talk about ego. Quote:

And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates

Don't have to deal with security updates? Uh-HUH. Either they think their code is perfect (no such thing, hence ego) or they're secretly updating in the background and installing stuff without my consent or awareness (an unforgivable dealbreaker).

Plus, I do plenty more with my machines than surf the web. Not to mention I prefer my computers to keep working when Comcast starts sucking (which is often enough). No thanks.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 21
Interesting!
Basically it is "just" a new GUI, running on a Linux kernel. Why not, if they do t right...

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 21
I hope it does run fast on netbooks
smily_headphones1.gif
Another linux flavor and window manager to look forward to
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 21
As long a Google is still only aiming at the netbook market I don't think Microsoft will have anything to fear. Only when they are going to try to take over the regular workstation market things will get more exciting. From what I've seen from the beta version of this Chrome OS is comparable with other *nix distros like Easy Peasy and other netbook versions of Ubuntu/ debian.

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 21
i think new distros that aim for consumer friendly is always a good thing. so many distros are ruined by developers that live up thier own backsides and obses about things most normal people dont care about.

ubuntu is the only one that has really had a good go at this so far but still misses the mark

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 21
As long as the Chrome logo still looks like a morph ball from Metroid...
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting development. I wonder if they're going to create or adapt an office suite to go along, especially one that integrates email and calendar support.

Arguably they've already created this. Google Apps replaced MS Office on my machines over a year ago. I know a couple companies who run all collaborative docs, spreadsheets & calendaring off GA (not to mention Gmail and Jabber/Gtalk for their purposes and Remember the Milk and other add-ons for GTD, etc.).

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Arguably they've already created this. Google Apps replaced MS Office on my machines over a year ago.

Google Apps is not an Office killer. It can't do a tenth of what Word and Excel can do, and a lot of businesses truly use all that functionality. Besides, it hasn't even tried to compete with the real reason MS Office is dominant - Exchange. There's truly no other product on earth that can touch its power or usability.

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet another *nix OS with proprietary interface quirks and sketchy tech support. 2H10 release too. No, I don't think MS is losing much sleep tonight.

+1,

win 7 is so snappy on a netbook

Users who are viewing this thread

Back