Goodbye DT880s (600 Ohm), hello HD650's!
Dec 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 20
my ignorance was bliss 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
And how do you come to that conclusion? I can tell you in comparison to many other amps I've heard the 880s with the LDIII is not up to the task. I know it's rated upto 600 Ohm as are most amps, even sound cards for that matter but it's little more than marketing.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 20

Quote:
And how do you come to that conclusion? I can tell you in comparison to many other amps I've heard the 880s with the LDIII is not up to the task. I know it's rated upto 600 Ohm as are most amps, even sound cards for that matter but it's little more than marketing.

Um, let's try again.

1) LD rates the amp for phones up to 600 Ohms

2) David from LD confirmed the amp can comfortably power the cans

3) Based on lines 1 and 2 above, we come to 3.  3 = I tried the set up, and based on the fact that in my set up it easily drove the DT's, my 'conclusion' as you said was reached.  I also compared to several other more powerful amps and the LD was not lacking.

Clearly you disagree.  That's your right.  But that doesn't mean both the manufacturer and I are wrong, because you disagree and don't think it's "up to task".  I would be VERY careful with your statement about their claim being 'marketing'.  Basically, your saying they are dishonest in their claims.

Again, because you don't like the combo, doesn't mean it's "not up to task".  Not sure if your aggressive tone is intentional or accidental.  If it's accidental, that's no prob as we've all come accross the wrong way on forums before.  If it's intentional, then respectfully, I'm not going to waste my time going forward with someone that is out to save us from "those eveil corporations that lie about everything with their evil marketing".  LD, from what I've read on this forum, has an outstanding reputation, even with the occasional person casting unfounded accusations.

Jeeshhh.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:
Um, let's try again.

It isn't my intention to offend you, I'm sharing my LDIII experience with you. It also isn't simply that I don't like the combo, but the sound is reminiscent with under powered headphones. You started this thread saying you received the 880s, burned them in, and didn't like then. Now you're saying you've compared them to other more powerful amps (which ones?) and the LD was not lacking. Underpowered DT880s sound sterile, sibilant and lifeless... your first post described them as bright and sterile. I put the pieces together, having not only listened to the LDIII with the 880s but heard from others that shared the same experience.

It isn't simply that the manufacturers are dishonest, but simply not all 600 Ohm phones are created equal. I have a pair of 110 Ohm phones that are harder to power than the 880s. In truth 600 Ohm means very little when it comes to amping, therefore I always tell people to buy with their ears.

Honestly I would expect any manufacturer to stick up for their product, if this blows your mind, I'll be the first to welcome you to the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back