Goodbye, Captain Beefheart
Dec 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
I was just on Google News and stumbled across the sad news that Captain Beefheart died today.

My first exposure to him came back in high school, during the 1980s. I spent a lot of time trying to get my head around "Trout Mask Replica," and eventually came to love him and his work. I wish I could have caught him playing a show.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 11
I will listen to all of my Captain Beefheart tonight. Rest in peace.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 11
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"

Knowledge that can only be obtained through cleaving Beefheart scriptures, damn this makes me sad, RIP Beefheart

Was an underrated artist, both the musical and graphical variety

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 11
RIP one of my favorite artists....loved the work he did with Zappa, BONGO FURY
frown.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 11

RIP one of my favorite artists....loved the work he did with Zappa, BONGO FURY
frown.gif

"Bongo Fury" is also one of my favorites. Especially when Frank loses it during "Muffin Man." Which reminds me, I need to spin that one for the kiddos. They'll love it.

Also, it seems that the Captain has spawned two other tribute threads here. :)

I usually take down or consolidate duplicate threads. But not this time. He deserves it.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 11
I learned about Captain Beefheart though my Dad's music collection.  I first heard his name at the end of "Muffin Man" on Strictly Commerical (Zappa), and just had to learn who he was.  This is a concern to me.  It's sad to realize that so many artists that I have come to appreciate over the years are starting to come closer and closer to the age where they pass on.  
frown.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
"Bongo Fury" is also one of my favorites. Especially when Frank loses it during "Muffin Man." Which reminds me, I need to spin that one for the kiddos. They'll love it.Also, it seems that the Captain has spawned two other tribute threads here. :)I usually take down or consolidate duplicate threads. But not this time. He deserves it.

He puuuts fourth a quarter ounce green rosette...  ...let's try that again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back