Good workout headphones for under $20
Aug 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

quastar

New Head-Fier
The title says most of it.  I don't really care what type of headphones they are, just as long as they can be driven from an ipod.  I'm looking for a pair with reasonable comfort and one that will not slip during the middle of a set and sprints.  I'd also prefer one that emphasizes bass.  I did own the 8320. Though I enjoyed the sound, it quickly broke on me after a week when the cable got tugged on.  Plus, I remembered that it was rather bulky for working out and hard to get a proper seal in my ears despite trying the different size tips it came with.  Currently I am considering the koss ksc75, but the only reason I'm hesitant to buy these is because I've read that they're a bit light on bass.  I am open for more recommendations.    

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Not sure how well they hold on during a workout?

JVC HA-S400, sells for a little over $20.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 13
I'd recommend something with better ergonomics. I've used the Mee M6 and can recommend it as a cheap beater for the gym. It's lightweight, has small earpieces, and the memory wire is quite useful. It's got a fun v-shaped sound signature with boosted bass and a slight treble tilt.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Not sure how well they hold on during a workout?

JVC HA-S400, sells for a little over $20.

These look a bit too large and heavy for a workout.  

Quote:
I'd recommend something with better ergonomics. I've used the Mee M6 and can recommend it as a cheap beater for the gym. It's lightweight, has small earpieces, and the memory wire is quite useful. It's got a fun v-shaped sound signature with boosted bass and a slight treble tilt.

These do look like they fit the bill for what I'm looking for.  I'll look more into these. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 13
I've decided to go for the MEE M9.  It's suppose to sound similar to the M6.  It's currently half the price of the M6 and without the over-the-ear design.  I'll see how it holds up to my workouts once it arrives; if anything it only cost me $10.  
etysmile.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 13
An IEM will block ambient sound, which could be good or bad depending on the circumstances. If a traditional IEM fall out of your ears due to the sweat, then you could try an IEM with ear hooks. The JVC Riptidz doesn't have ear hooks, but is listed as being sweat and water resistant. The KSC75 doesn't block ambient sound, and the foam earpads will soak up plenty of sweat. You could get something like the Panasonic RP-HS32 which is earbuds with ear hooks. It doesn't isolate, and the bass is weak so I boost the bass around 8db on my player's equalizer when using it. It has very nice treble.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 13
I currently use the Brainwavz R1, a little more than you want to spend.  I'd suggest looking at Soundmagic's offerings like the ES18.  It survived many months of gym use and for the price it sounds great (though the treble does roll off early).

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 13
http://www.head-fi.org/t/476931/best-headphones-for-running-gym-ksc75

The KSC75 get the nod in this article:
http://headphonescout.com/best-workout-running-headphones/

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 13
Honestly, IEMs are definitely not my prefer earphones; there's a lot of little things that I don't like about them.  I just put up with them because of their convenience and the isolation which I sometimes find useful.  Like I said, I've already ordered a pair of MEE M9, but if for whatever reason they don't workout for me (pun intended 
normal_smile .gif
)  my second choice would probably be the ksc75, perhaps modded with a headband.   

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 13
I had a set of M9, I found the bass overpowering and ended up giving them away as a gift (the recipient loved them).  If you don't mind a bass head IEM they're otherwise well made.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 13
The KSC75 would be good if isolation isn't an issue.  You can also easily buy replacement earpads as sweat will disintegrate them after awhile.  

The only issue is that while they sound OK straight out of a player, they need an amp to really shine.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 13
My MEE M9 just arrived.  Right out of the box the first thing I noticed was the bass, which is a good thing for me.  It even comes with a tiny zipper carrying case to store the multiple tips or whatever else that's small enough to fit in it.  I'll let it burn in for at least 24 hours, but overall I'm satisfied with my purchase, especially considering the price that I got them for.  I might still purchase the ksc75 down the road for when I want more open headphones, but for now I'm content with the m9.              

Users who are viewing this thread

Back