good video game sound tracks?
Nov 16, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 30
It's hard to say, for me, if soundtracks are going to be worth it if you haven't played the game. I think the game and the music go together such that both are weakened in isolation, or at least that's the case with many. Videogames soundracks that I like aren't composed of standalone songs like, say, the Vanilla Sky soundrack.

I think FFVI was the best scored videogame I've ever played. Other favorites are FFVII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Those are all the games that are highly dependent on music, anyway. You take the music away from those, you don't have the same game.

As far as current generation games, I can't think of any with very important and good music. Maybe members can recommend some. I think Shadow of the Colossus was pretty decent. MGS2 and 3 had some decent music. I can think of some with good music, but I can't think of any highly musical videogames in the current generation. Except Rez. Oh, yeah, Rez is god among videogames.

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
It's hard to say, for me, if soundtracks are going to be worth it if you haven't played the game. I think the game and the music go together such that both are weakened in isolation, or at least that's the case with many. Videogames soundracks that I like aren't composed of standalone songs like, say, the Vanilla Sky soundrack.

I think FFVI was the best scored videogame I've ever played. Other favorites are FFVII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Those are all the games that are highly dependent on music, anyway. You take the music away from those, you don't have the same game.

As far as current generation games, I can't think of any with very important and good music. Maybe members can recommend some. I think Shadow of the Colossus was pretty decent. MGS2 and 3 had some decent music. I can think of some with good music, but I can't think of any highly musical videogames in the current generation. Except Rez. Oh, yeah, Rez is god among videogames.

the only games that i remember having really good soundtracks were the final fantasy series, but I'm going to check out some of the ones you mentioned

thanks for the quick input

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 30
Splinter Cell Soundtrack by Amon Tobin

+ chack out Supermodified by Amon Tobin

Nov 16, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 30
"FFVII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night"

This list, but I'd also like to add Vagrant Story.

Nov 16, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 30
The music from Earthbound is not only the best videogame music ever, it's some of the best music period.

Nov 17, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 30
Final fantasy has good original tracks, but its a love or hate kind. Does anyone know the main title song from MGS3? The one with the lady singing when you climb up that very long ladder in a tunnel in the mountains.

Nov 17, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 30
In my opinion, "THE BEST" video game soundtrack is the Vagrant Story soundtrack, followed closely by the Final Fantasy VI soundtrack.

Pretty much anything by Hitoshi Sakimoto is gold, most of Uematsu and Mitsuda's work is also great. And don't forget Masashi Hamauzu. His work on Unlimited Saga and SaGa Frontier II is top notch, especially SFII.

Nov 17, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The music from Earthbound is not only the best videogame music ever, it's some of the best music period.

And one of the best games ever. I disliked RPGs until I played Earthbound. That game's magical.

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 30
Another vote for Final Fantasy music.

I also greatly enjoy the Jet Grind Radio OST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back