Good value Headphones for Gaming and a bit of Music
Sep 24, 2018 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vfreeze31

New Head-Fier
Hi All

I have been watching your channel/reviews on and off for the past few years, really like your honesty and simplicity in reviewing method.

My name is Iestyn and I live in Australia. I currently do not have much in the way of good audio equipment but looking to build that over time.

Currently, I am looking at purchasing some new headphones that will primarily be used for gaming but as they will be the best headphones I have I will use them for a bit of music as well.

I am looking at the following 3 and wanted to know what your thoughts were:
  • Philips Fidelio X2HR
  • HiFiMan HE-400S
  • Sennheiser HD600
  • Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
I have done a bit of research and get them all for close to the same price (within about AU$70 of each) with the Audio Technica being the Cheapest, but I hear they have amazing soundstage and imaging.

I am guessing the main things I am looking for are Good Soundstage with accurate imaging, if I am using these terms correctly.

I will be pairing this with an External USB SoundBlaster Recon3D to start with which drive my Sennheiser HD280 Pro to volumes higher than I need. The SB Recon3D provides Virtual Surround sound via THX, would this be helpful or should I disable it and just use a 2 channel audio from the system?

Another side note, as I progress with some equipment I was looking to purchase a DAC and Amp. I was looking at the Topping D10 and A30 but I wanted to know your thoughts on the “Damping factor” (I believe that is what it is called. As the A30 has a high output impedance and most of the headphones I have mentioned have a low input impedance I will not be meeting the 8x factor that people advise to have. Is this really going to be a problem or should I be looking at a different amp?

I appreciate any advise you may have and if you have any other suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. At the moment I am just trying to get all my ideas together.

Regards,
Iestyn Best

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 12
My two cents the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600 is not something the Recon3D could drive (at least not very well).
I would say to get the HE400S or ATH-AD900X
And replace the Recon3D with a newer Sound Blaster G6, which should offer better audio quality (better DAC function).
Plug the He-400S or AD900X directly into the G6.

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate all the feedback and advise.

My recent research suggests that the AD700X and AD900X seem to have the best soundstage and imaging. Does anyone have experience with these as well as the HiFiMan HE-400S?

I ask this as there is a big price difference between the 2 products for me here in Australia.

I can get the AD900X for AU$239 (https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/headphones/products/audio-technica-ath-ad900x)

And I can get the HE-400S for AU$349 (https://www.aussiehifi.com.au/products/hifiman-he-400s-headphones?variant=45077710983) with most other places being just over AU$400.

Is there a big difference in quality and soundstage/imaging that I should look at going for the HE-400S headphones over the AD900X.

Also, @PurpleAngel is there much of a difference between the Sound BlasterX G5 and G6 as I cannot see the G6 for sale here in Australia. I can get the G5 for AU$215.

Regards,
Iestyn Best

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 12
If you are looking at merely soundstaging and to a lesser extent imaging, then I think the AT's are perhaps a better choice. If you are looking at overall sonic fidelity, detail, etc., then the 400S will I think best the AT's in most ways. Just my take though and YMMV.

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 12
If you are looking at merely soundstaging and to a lesser extent imaging, then I think the AT's are perhaps a better choice. If you are looking at overall sonic fidelity, detail, etc., then the 400S will I think best the AT's in most ways. Just my take though and YMMV.

That would be my thought as well due to the lower distortion provided by the planar magnetic drivers in the HE-400S.

Just need to find a way to justify this for my inner conscious trying to justify the additional cost.

Also, just been doing some looking around and these seem interesting:
https://www.minidisc.com.au/audio-technica-ath-adg1x-high-fidelity-gaming-headset

Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X, looks to be a gaming headset version of the ATH-AD1000X (I think).

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 12
That would be my thought as well due to the lower distortion provided by the planar magnetic drivers in the HE-400S.

Just need to find a way to justify this for my inner conscious trying to justify the additional cost.

https://www.minidisc.com.au/audio-technica-ath-adg1x-high-fidelity-gaming-headset

Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X, looks to be a gaming headset version of the ATH-AD1000X (I think).
Right. Haven't personally heard the ADG1X so can't comment on that one. I do own the HE400S and am quite happy with it. FWIW.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 12
i really doubt it's based on the AD1000X, I'm fairly sure it's based on the AD900X, with an intergated mic.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for that.

I do not think it is worth paying all that extra just for the built-in mic.

I have Zalman ZM-MIC 1 that I have had for years that will work fine and I do not use it often.

I am currently leaning towards the AD900x for its value and imaging accuracy. If there is anyone that can tell me why I should not get these, I will be happy to take them into consideration.

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 12
Doing a bit more research and I find 2 more really interesting products:
* Audeze Mobius
* Vokyl Erupt

Before this I was leaning towards the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X as all the reviews praise the soundstage and imaging.

ZeosPantera has done a review of a pre-production version of the Vokyl Erupt and compared them with the Fidelio X1 and says the Vokyl are much better with wider soundstage, more accurate imaging and clearer sounding.

The reviews i have found so fare for the Audeze Mobius have not talked much about these aspects. I am concerned some of its features are going to be seen as gimmicky (ie. 7.1 surround processing) and not required for pc gamers (ie. BT). Also, driver requirements and compatability (ie. Linux).

Both these products seem to use similar drivers in the cups and they both make much clearer sound.

I am now leaning towards the Vokyl Erupt as the semi-open design would reduce sound leakage and I think that would be better for my environment.

I was wondering if anyone is able to provide a comparison to the AD900X or AD1000X. I know this might be difficult as they are not released yet.

Interested on your thoughts and fedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back