Good USB DAC for $300 or less...
Dec 22, 2008 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ArmAndHammer

Headphoneus Supremus
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a KECES DA-151 USB DAC. Just wanted to check first to see if this was a good choice for the price range? Seems to get really good reviews here but I want to make sure I am getting the best for my limited money. Budget is $300 shipped which is what the DA-151 would come to. It will be paired up with a Little Dot I+ and Beyer 770/80 Pros and Alessandro MS-1's off my Dell Dimension PC.

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 10
Audio-gd's DAC-100 looks promising too going by the quality of the rest of his designs.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The keces is great, haven't heard it personally but many many people love that dac.

+1 for the KECES. In fact, i was thinking about buy one. Here it had awesome reviews ^^
Anyone compared it to a Cantate's DAC? Couldn't find that comparison.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 10
Well, you can buy a videocard, CPU, motherboard, car,..., based only on good reviews, but dont buy audio.
I've noticed that there are some links from eBay to this site, so you cannot be sure about the reviews either.. No offence please!
I would wait and buy smth very expensive..

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you can buy a videocard, CPU, motherboard, car,..., based only on good reviews, but dont buy audio.
I've noticed that there are some links from eBay to this site, so you cannot be sure about the reviews either.. No offence please!
I would wait and buy smth very expensive..

Not controversial, uhm? really, just my point of view.

You are right on that. Specially because you can compare easy the power of two GPUs, to see which is better, but the SQ from a DAC is something not totally objective, and depends on everyone, the music you hear, the cans you drive with that DAC and so on.

But well, it's impossible for me to test a KECES 151 without buying it, so... i need to get the opinion based on the reviews. We had some made by important members, what gives me confidance, but i'm not sure, because of that i like to see more.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Really. In fact we don't have so distant ideas
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Haha. I've actually taken some pretty expensive plunges without ever hearing the equipment I was buying. Most of them I never regretted because I do a lot of research on anything audio related that I buy. But sometimes its really hard to hear the things before you buy them, especially once you consider the cost of shipping things around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back