Good upgrade from ATH-M50 to pair with O2+ODAC up to $300. Primarily for gaming.
Dec 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chorinator

New Head-Fier
TL:DR; Currently own ATH-M50 + O2+ODAC Combo. I want to upgrade. Primarily Gaming. Looking for advice. Up to $300usd.

Hi Head-Fi,

I've read some posts about the AD700 for gaming. Some people love them, other people hate them for the same reason: Their unnatural large soundstage.
I've been using a pair of ATH-M50 for music listening at work for about 2 years now (around 8 hours daily) and I love them so much that I recently bought another pair for gaming at home.

I also bought (hasn't arrived yet) the O2+ODAC Combo from JDS Labs to replace the integrated DAC on my gaming PC. I already know (thanks to Head-Fi) that the Sorround effects are achieved by software and that all you really need is a good DAC.

So I was wondering, now that I own an AMP + DAC a whole new world of possibilities on headphones opened for me, and I wanted to ask this forum for advice.
What headphones do you recommend between $200 and $300 for gaming?

Thanks for your time.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 7
  I already know (thanks to Head-Fi) that the Surround effects are achieved by software and that all you really need is a good DAC.

Where did you read this?

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 7
  What headphones do you recommend between $200 and $300 for gaming?

For gaming only or for gaming and music?

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, good for music and gaming.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 7
  Where did you read this?

Hi PurpleAngel,

You've helped me in the past: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634199/amplifier-or-usb-sound-for-audio-technica-athm50#post_8827677 and I thank you for that.

I've read several posts here about gaming audio and every post reach the same conclusion.
Good DAC + 3D positional audio software is the way to go.

That's why I bought a dedicated DAC. However as good as the ATH-M50 sound for music I've read that they lack the soundstage required for 3D positional audio (Yes I play lots of FPS as well as other genres) and that's why I'd like to upgrade.

The ATH-AD900X are mentioned everywhere as good headphones for gaming, but I've read lots of complaints about the confort/hergonomics after long periods of usage.
Also there's this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/581792/alternative-gaming-cans-to-audio-technica-ad700 And the response from MalVeauX saying that the soundstage is so large that it feels unnatural when listening to music and he also claims that the bass is factory crippled.
Of course I know that my ears are not educated as his and maybe I'll never notice this things.

Anyway I'm looking for alternatives to the ATH-A900X on the same price range.
I'm also interested on the ATH-AG1. However I've read that they're rebranded ATH-A700X which aren't as good as the ATH-A900X.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Why not stay with the ATH-M50 since you've been so satisfied with them? I use my ATH-M50 with a JDS Labs Objective 2 amplifier and I think they are a great combination. Or I can also recommend the Sennheiser HD439 or perhaps the Sennheiser HD25. Both have very nice impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back