Good tube sound simulator (DSP)
Jun 28, 2008 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Headdie

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to experience the great "tube sound" that audiophiles talk about. How does the Foobar tube sound component compare with a good quality tube amplifier? Do you know a software/hardware DSP that can simulate a true tube sound? Thanks,

Edit :

Or what about this thing,
DCVST Virtual Valve Tube Simulator VST Plug-In

BTW, what's a VST plugin? Is it compatible with a media player like Foobar?

Edit2 :

It looks like you can try some of the tube simulations here,

Diamond Cut Downloads

Edit3 :

Found this,
Best tube modeling plugin? - Cockos Confederated Forums

But looks mainly for musicians ...

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, what's a VST plugin? Is it compatible with a media player like Foobar?

VST is a DSP plugin format mainly associated with professional sound studio apps. I don't know about fb2k, but I know that there's a wrapper plugin that lets them be used with Winamp.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 29
George Yohng's VST wrapper allows Foobar 2k to use VST's. Its a great stable little plugin.

As far a tube simulators, they really aren't like real tubes.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 29
Convolver pretty much replicates the "tube sound", at least to me with my system. It sounds strikingly like the Little Dot series of amps, and I think I'd be hard pressed to distinguish either one (the amp I own + convolver vs. LD) if I didn't know which was which beforehand.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Convolver pretty much replicates the "tube sound", at least to me with my system. It sounds strikingly like the Little Dot series of amps, and I think I'd be hard pressed to distinguish either one (the amp I own + convolver vs. LD) if I didn't know which was which beforehand.

How do I use it? Is it some sort of preset file that make it sound like what you described?

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 29
The Foobar DSP 'Tube Sound' is supposed to be another one. I use it myself because I like the subtle effect, but I've never actually used a tube amp so I don't know if it's actually accurate.
More info+download at http://www.skipyrich.com/wiki/Main_P...oo_dsp_tube.29

Jul 3, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I use it? Is it some sort of preset file that make it sound like what you described?

Sjeng - chess, audio and misc. software

I personally find the Urei impulse to do the trick - there are a lot of presets though, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if many tube amp "sound signatures" can be replicated by one of those presets. I don't have the equipment to do the corresponding tests though. Experiment around, convolver is a great foobar plugin

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sjeng - chess, audio and misc. software

I personally find the Urei impulse to do the trick - there are a lot of presets though, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if many tube amp "sound signatures" can be replicated by one of those presets. I don't have the equipment to do the corresponding tests though. Experiment around, convolver is a great foobar plugin

Thanks for the link.
smily_headphones1.gif

I donwloaded Convolver and the preset. I couldn't get the Foobar version to work, does it need an older version of Foobar to work?

I could get the Windows media player's version to work, however I can't seem to tell the difference between it turned on and off, both with my speakers and headphones, is the difference supposed to be subtle? Or the plugin isn't working?

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 29
Let's wake up this thread !

I've been playing with the Foobar2000 Convolver to emulate tube sounds. SPL GoldMike Impulse is not bad, but ain't more to my taste.

Then, I've tried the Voxengo Tube Amp and find it more interesting, but I'm still hungry...

Now, I'm experimenting with the TubeDriver designed by Nick Crow. Well done Nick !

For you out there that may be interested to play with tube emulators, here's an entry point,

Tube Simulation : Free VST Effects : FreeMusicSoftware.org

I wish you some fun !

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 29
Try Ozone Izotope, it has been designed for music players.
There is a version for Winamp, I am unsure if you can find one for Foobar...unless you can use the same version.
Here is a link: Izotope

May 27, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 29
Let's wake this thread up again! Try SPL TwinTube Processor:

www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/357703-spl-tube-harmonics-saturation-modelled-plugin.html

It's interesting.

May 30, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 29
Lee Perry,

I tried your Redline preamp, it generates even harmonics. Lots of settings to play with, it is nice. I will test it some more tonight.

Try SPL TwinTube, it's a very interesting plugin, it imitates the tube sound, but it achieves the goal by generating odd (!) harmonics and you can set the frequency (10 KHz, 6 KHz, 3 KHz or 2 KHz) around which the effect will be more pronounced. It results in the gentle "lift" of this frequence range from the general mix and bringing it closer to the listener and it also "enhances the presence" of the chosen frequence range. For example, when listening to female vocals, set the center frequency to 6 KHz, male vocals - 3 KHz. 2 Khz is good for instruments. I found it amazing that this plugin sounds very clear, it does not alter the transparency of the sound, and it does not destroy the feeling of soundstage, etc.

May 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 29
Another plugin which I always use in the end of my chain is a ditherer. The reason is simple. When I listen to Foobar through speakers, I use FabFilter VST EQ to eliminate room resonances. When I listen to Foobar through headphones, I use IsonePro for crossfeed and HRTF effects. Both these plugins operate with 64 bits, so it is best to use dithering to trim the resolution down to 16 bits. I use a simple thing - Waves IDR plugin:

Some people use another ditherer - Sonalksis Ultimate-D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back