Good Tube Combo for Earmax Pro
Jul 23, 2008 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bergman2

500+ Head-Fier
to all you earmax pro users out there, i found a good and cheap tube complement...I got a raytheon made baldwin labeled double mica black longplate 12ax7 (used but strong on ebay for $10) and a pair of nos sylvania jan 6922's in the outputs ($26 for a matched pair)...sounds great...good extension, tight bass and good detail but not at the expense of that great earmax pro warmth...the best part is the total cost of the tubes shipped was about $40

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 8
update...i also tried listening to a ge 5751 triple mica blackplate in the center hole (very expensive, but it was a loaner)...to those who arent aware it is a direct swap for the 12ax7 or 12at7, but where the x has gain of 100, the t has 60, and the 5751 has 70...frankly i was not impressed---a little weak all around (even compared to some good (and lower mu) 12at7's i listened to including brimar, mullard and philips)...it probably wouldve been ok but i like my amps to have pop so i need all the gain i can get to equally drive judas priest and johannes bach equally well...i believe the organ labeled old american tubes (wurlitzer, hammond, baldwin, etc.) are great, and truly underapreciated...furthermore, i'd rather have a double mica longplate over a triple mica--generally more oomph and clarity (at least once it gets hot)

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 8
1 last thing...there is also the problem of compatability from system to system...for instance, the 5751 variety tube has been the only tube i tried in my earmax pro that soft clipped (and had intermittent cut outs) through my hp's...the ax7's and the at7's did not do this...is anybody out there running 5751's on their earmax pro and experiencing similar probs or is this unique to my amp?

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Bergman...

I took your suggestion for the EMP tubes and have a set of each on the way. Thanks for the info!

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 8
glad to hear it! i am still trying s**t out so i'll let you know about future tube combos...the US made amperex 6922's orange printing (late 60's-early 70's?)are real nice (but much pricier) than the late 70's-early 80's jan sylvanias (which i would argue have the best bang for the buck in the emp outputs...but...they are getting scarce in the aftermarket domain...there are alot of us made jan philips out there for about $30 bucks a pair but they are not as full and juicy as the sylvanias

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 8
rca's are great too..the black plates are right up there with my favorites sylvania and amperex...in fact they, along with raytheon, sylvania, US tung sol, & ken rad, all made 12ax7a's for the organ manufacturers which are just as good but cheaper than a tube labeled rca or etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back