Good Tube Amps Under $700
Apr 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

redmagic

Head-Fier
My friend recently talked to me saying that he wanted to buy a new tube amp for around $700 or less, excluding tube rollings costs. I let him listen to my Woo Audio WA2 and he really liked it so I recommended him the WA3 which I read was like a downgrade from the WA2 while still keeping many of its same qualities. Any other recommendations in that price range? (Preferably with a smooth and warm sound signature like the WA2's). He is using the amp with the Beyerdynamic DT-880s (possibly the T1s in the future) and the Schiit Bifrost DAC.

Thanks

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 10
Don't you have to build that? My friend is not so good with electronics and I am usually quite busy.

Unfortunately yes it is a DIY kit, but you can have Bottlehead make one for you, or in this case your friend. It is probably the bes tube amp I have heard sub 1200. When I heard it, I actually prefer it to the WA2.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Don't you have to build that? My friend is not so good with electronics and I am usually quite busy.

yeah, also from what i've heard, the Crack will be a little less smooth than the Woo amps.

the Darkvoice/Lafigaro amps are nice as well, they would be smoother and darker.

theres something about the Woo Audio amps and Beyerdynamic headphones in general, i find them to pair very well. I think the DT 880 and WA3 would be a very good setup. its as close to the WA2 as you can get and you wouldn't notice too much of a difference unless you had hd 800/t1. the finishing touches on the WA3 would be a nice power tube like the 7236 or 5998 and maybe some 6N23P's to add some bass to the 880s.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Whats the warranty and return policy on it? I know it is made is China which could complicate things. Oh and do you know how it compares to other Darkvoice amps?

Good question, I bought mine used so I never really considered those aspects.  there used to be DV company reps who posted here a  while back.  But as near as I can tell they are gone.
I am not sure how it compares with the other DV amps, as I haven't heard them.

Yes China / over seas shipping most definitely complicates things.  I have had nothing but troubles with US customs, they never seem to re-pack anything with any care.  My amp arrived severely damaged from Canada, if theres one good thing about these amps, its that they are all P2P and DIY repairs are a little easier (IMHO) than SMT or thru hole.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

yeah, also from what i've heard, the Crack will be a little less smooth than the Woo amps.

the Darkvoice/Lafigaro amps are nice as well, they would be smoother and darker.

theres something about the Woo Audio amps and Beyerdynamic headphones in general, i find them to pair very well. I think the DT 880 and WA3 would be a very good setup. its as close to the WA2 as you can get and you wouldn't notice too much of a difference unless you had hd 800/t1. the finishing touches on the WA3 would be a nice power tube like the 7236 or 5998 and maybe some 6N23P's to add some bass to the 880s.

I found this to be true as well. The Crack has a bit of SS flavor to it. I would say it is faster, more dynamic much like an SS, but still with good warmth and liquidness like a tube amp. If you want that extreme tubey, warm, and syrupy sound than you can't get much better than Woo Amps. I was very happy with my WA2 when I owned it, especially after I upgraded tubes, but after I started to expand my headphone collection the Woo just couldn't keep up. If I wanted another full tube amp, I would most definitely build myself a Bottlehead Crack+Speedball. For the price, you can't beat it. The kits would cost you about the same as a WA3. Of coarse build quality, and overall craftsmanship would definitely go to the Woo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back