Good tube amp to run both Grado sr325 and HiFiman HE 300? Recommendations?
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #46 of 58

Does the Grant Fidelity TubeDac have the tube section only in preout, and not in the headphone amp circuit?

That's what it looked like to me based on the website descriptions, but I don't know for sure. 

You're right that the Aune T1 does seem a little "entry level." LOL

You could always just engage yolo mode and get the Little Dot MK3. You'd probably like it, and you could easily sell it here for maybe $50 loss if not. I'm getting the sense that you still kind of want it more than these other options? 

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #47 of 58

That's what it looked like to me based on the website descriptions, but I don't know for sure. 

You're right that the Aune T1 does seem a little "entry level." LOL

You could always just engage yolo mode and get the Little Dot MK3. You'd probably like it, and you could easily sell it here for maybe $50 loss if not. I'm getting the sense that you still kind of want it more than these other options? 

That's what I figured. I am in more need of a HP amp than DAC right now, so I'll have to do separates.

The MG Head still intrigues me. Power-wise, would that version being sold on these forums work well with Grados?

I am not favoring the Little Dot by any means either. I don't want to rush though and miss something that might be better for me. I can stretch my budget a tiny bit if something really good pops up too, but only in a couple weeks will I have more $$.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #48 of 58
That's what I figured. I am in more need of a HP amp than DAC right now, so I'll have to do separates.

The MG Head still intrigues me. Power-wise, would that version being sold on these forums work well with Grados?

I am not favoring the Little Dot by any means either. I don't want to rush though and miss something that might be better for me. I can stretch my budget a tiny bit if something really good pops up too, but only in a couple weeks will I have more $$.

It looks like it has enough power for Grados, but it's hard to say. You might get distortion if you really crank it. It is an OTL design and may have difficulty putting out enough current into a low impedance load, compared to what the specs would imply. 

All of this is just theoretical though. I imagine some OTL amps will sound great with Grados, and some might not. Here is a thread where people are arguing about it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/340327/damping-factor-for-headphones

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #50 of 58
Both the MK3 and MK4 are OTL. 

Have you tried searching to see if anyone uses Grados with these amps? Might be tedious, but you could probably find someone who can give you first hand advice about the pairing. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #51 of 58
I feel like whatever purchase I make will be a YOLO because I keep finding all this conflicting information on all of this stuff! haha

Apparently the OTL version for Grados is pointless, because the Grados sound better through the Non-OTL output.
But I have seen some comments that say Grados don't match, and some say they match the DT version well.

Maybe I am not finding good posts, the search didn't work too well for me. Did you see anything about them?

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #52 of 58
Maybe another dumb question... but amps like the Darkvoice with only one pre/power tube (rather than the LD amps with separate pre/power tubes for each channel)... how does 2 channel stereo sound run through the tubes and amp?

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #53 of 58
  Maybe another dumb question... but amps like the Darkvoice with only one pre/power tube (rather than the LD amps with separate pre/power tubes for each channel)... how does 2 channel stereo sound run through the tubes and amp?

I think the single tube is actually stereo, so it has two separate circuits inside it. I think. 

I was searching around a bit and I found this thread. Not much really new here, but post number 8 explains some of the issues with OTL amps better than I can: http://www.head-fi.org/t/674935/new-to-headphones-have-grado-sr225i-looking-for-headphone-tube-amp-recommendations

Aside from that, the only amps I see consistently mentioned with Grados are the Little Dot 1+ especially and the Musical Fidelity X Can less frequently, which is discontinued. I would think that the 1+ with your tube preamp would give you plenty of tubiliciousness. 

Just FYI, when I used my MK3 as a preamp into my solid state amp, I got more or less the same sound as using the MK3 as an amp. Very tubey either way. Maybe a bit less soft in the bass and highs with the SS amp. This setup seems analogous to a hybrid. Anything holding you back on the 1+?

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #54 of 58
I wanted to avoid hybrid, but I guess for the Grados, that's the better way to go. Other than that, the LD1 is kind of clunky and ugly haha. If it came in silver I'd like it more haha. But maybe I might have to get the mk1+ seeing how everyone thinks it matches well with the Grados.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #55 of 58
  Both the MK3 and MK4 are OTL. 

Have you tried searching to see if anyone uses Grados with these amps? Might be tedious, but you could probably find someone who can give you first hand advice about the pairing. 

Thought I'd join in here. Anybody have a preference for the MK3 or MK4 for the HE-300's? Any other amps that compare to these in quality? Thanks.

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #56 of 58
I have been running my sr225s with the 1+ ( both bought used on this forum) and have been loving every minute. I am really new to all this but had also picked up a fiio e7k/e9k as well. Been doing a lot of comparison listening- straight iPod, iPod through LD 1+, iPod thru fiio. Have to say with the Grados I am loving the Ld1+. So far just with stock tubes but the user I bought from included some mullards as well. Told me I should listen to stock for awhile and then give myself a treat switching to mullards. Can't wait to give them a try!

May 8, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #58 of 58
I was in OP's situation, i have the SR325e, i was using them with the Fiio E10K and the sound wasn't right, i couldn't even turn the volume up, they became unbearable, i bought the Litlle Dot I+ and now they sound so much better, im using the E10K as DAC, but im looking to replace it with the Schiit Modi, by the way my LD has the stock tubes 6JI X2, the bad ones, i'm eager to see how better tubes will affect the sound, i wanna get the 6CQ6 eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back