good surround sound system or brand
Sep 25, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 2
If I went for surround, I'd buy either Magnepan or PSB. Though I'd be tempted to DIY the speakers.

However, let me try to talk you out of going surround. :)

I ran 5.1 for awhile, but now watch video with a two-way system. I don't miss surround.

Obviously, two high-end speakers cost less than five high-end speakers. Sometimes they cost less than five mediocre speakers. A pair of good speakers covers left and right while stereo imaging covers the center fine. I found that the rear channels don't add much, so left/right/center gives me all the audio I need while only requiring two speakers.

As for subs, I don't like them. They seem like a good idea, but matching them with speakers and placing them correctly are two new cans of worms. You're better off running floorstanders with good bass extension.

Then there is the horror of surround receivers. Marginal amps inside (usually) and a glut of modes and settings that you'll never use and overly complicate things. With two channels, you can run a lot of excellent inexpensive amps. I run a tube amp - very nice - though I would not want to buy two more to cover surround. Plus 5.1 requires you to run wires all over the place.

So give some thought to going for a nice two-channel setup. You can buy excellent speakers and an amp, while keeping things simple. Your music will be happier with two good speakers, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back