Good SS amp for HD600
Jan 16, 2010 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

rattesp

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good SS amp for my HD600 (no tubes for me). I already have a Shanling PH100 which is great formy AKG 701 but just ok for the HD600. I'm looking for something under 700 $. PRAT is really important for me (I'm used to Naim gear) and I'd like to lose a bit of the HD600 veil. Thanks for your suggestions.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 21
I am in love with my Goldpoint. There are only a handful of people here that have one but all of them love theirs. Have a look at it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for your suggestions, i'll look into it.

Used is OK but no DYI for me !!

I could have a good deal for a used Little Dot MKV. Did someone compared it to the Shanling PH100 ? I must say that even though the Shanling is not a perfect match for the HD600 it's a great amp, lots of power, well built. The problem with the HD600 is that sometimes the voices seems very distant and veiled.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rattesp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the HD600 is that sometimes the voices seems very distant and veiled.

That's something I haven't noticed with the 580/600/650 line. I can only assume it's a problem with another piece of equipment. As for amps, I'd look into an M3 or Dynalo with Sigma11.

And please upgrade your source.

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's something I haven't noticed with the 580/600/650 line. I can only assume it's a problem with another piece of equipment.

That's why I want to replace the Shanling, I'm pretty sure it's the problem, bad synergy with the HD600.

As for the source, I cannot live without a Duet. I have over 800 CD ripped in FLAC and I never listen to a CD for more than one or two songs ... so a CD player or a turntable is not an option for me.

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 21
I know that Beresford has a bad rep around here and I understand why, but to be honest, I think it's a better bargain than the DacMagic. I slightly prefer my DacMagic but the price difference vs sound quality is not justified IMHO.

Could you give me some example of lovely vintage DACs ?

Thanks

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 21
How about a GLite, with or without DPS? I have entertained the idea of getting HD600/650's and hope that the Headamp Dynalo that I have been using will do the trick more than nicely.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 21
I'd look for a Gilmore Lite/Dynalo, CK2III, M^3, or the EC/SS. All of them should run well under $700, as well. Don't be afraid to buy used - most of what you'llfind here will be in excellent condition.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 21
Keep an eye out for a Buffalo DAC. Twister Pear Audio is currently redesigning the boards but they will be available pretty soon if we may believe them.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 21
The Gilmore Lite sounded great with my HD650. I assume it would sound fab with your HD 600.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 21
Thanks for all your suggestions ! So, I should look at:

-KICAS
-Gilmore Lite/Dynalo
-CK2III
-M^3
-EC/SS
-Goldpoint

Anymore suggestions ?
tongue_smile.gif

That's one thing I don't like about buying headphones amplifier, it's hard to listen to them before you buy. I'm in Montreal and I don't know any store that sell those amp. When I bought my Naim Nait 5i and my Spendor S5e, I've listened to them a couple of times before making a decision. With headphones amp, all I can do is read reviews and hope the reviewer has the same taste that I have !

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rattesp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a good SS amp for my HD600 (no tubes for me). I already have a Shanling PH100 which is great formy AKG 701 but just ok for the HD600. I'm looking for something under 700 $. PRAT is really important for me (I'm used to Naim gear) and I'd like to lose a bit of the HD600 veil. Thanks for your suggestions.

i used to own an all Naim hi-fi kit, including a NAHA2/Hicap. for your price range, from what own/have owned, you have some good options.

Commercial Amps: for SS, NAHA + PS. used pop up at Audiogn.com. for Tubes: the Cayin HA-1A. i loved the HA-1A with tube rolling, but found DIY.
the Gilmore Lite is a bit cold and lifeless - great amp/VFM if you want a "hi-fi" sounding kit
wink.gif

DIY amps:
-CK2III + a quality stepped attenuator: an excellent amp, period.
-Bijou: it's tubed though and it might be difficult to find a builder.
-2 Channel B22: you might be able to get this for $700??? the finest SS i've heard - a CK2III on steroids and greater transparency through out.
-M3: it's the slowest sounding of the bunch. it might be an interesting complement to the 5i, and give the HD600 a bit more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back