Good speaker setup for 300dollars
Jan 24, 2015 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

seraj5

New Head-Fier
Hi, second thread here. I want to buy some speakers that sounds good, i want them to sound as good as possible and they should be''bookshelf'' speakers, my budget is 300dollars for them, i live in Sweden in Europe. I have looked into the Dali Zensor 1. I also want to buy a dac and amp combo, my budget for that is 200-250dollars if its good. I am also going to use my headphones with the amp and dac, right now i have qpad qh90 but im going to upgrade to akg k550/k551. I simply want the best sound, if they work good with gaming thats good too. Would i need a subwoofer too or not?

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 17
Bookshelf sizes speakers are always limited in bass extension. Might advice would be to get your speakers, compare them to your headphones (which will extend lower), and see if the lack of deep bass is important to you. If so, you can always add a subwoofer later :)

The Dalis are very good. However, they are passive speakers that will need a speaker amplifier.

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 17
You can also look into active monitors, such as a pair of jbl LSR305, which have a wide sweet spot and are quite well balanced and have impressive bass extension(not volume!) for a 5 inch woofer.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 17
What are the difference? I found the Deli are as cheap as the jbl lsr305 in my country, they seem good. If i want a subwoofer with them which one should i take? Or is it better to buy the jbl, although the would cost twice as much for 2. 

Which stereoamplifier and dac should i go with? thanks :)

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 17
Maybe look at the Emotiva Arimotiv series powered monitors.  They seem to be well regarded.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 17
Unfortunalty the postage is very expensive so its not worth it for me. Im thinking of getting the Dali Zensor 3 for about 230dollars. 
But i need a amp and a dac, idk if i should get an amp with a dac in it or a seperate dac. I would like it to connect to my computer too so i can play music from the computer and then get sound out of the speakers.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 17
The jbl's don't really need a subwoofer despite having only a 5 inch woofer. If you listen so some bass driven electronic music like drum and bass and dubstep and such, then yes you will need a subwoofer, even if you have speakers with 8 inch woofers. Same story for just about any speakers.

It seems that the dali zensor has a 7 inch woofer, i suggest you listen to it first before deciding you need a sub.

Unfortunately i don't know much about speaker amps, but if you have an AV receiver lying around, that would work as an amp or amp/dac depending on how new it is. As for standalone dacs, you can use just about any dacs. Just set a budget and people around here can start giving out recommendations.

Have you tried asking in gear slutz or avsforum? There are many more people there that can help you out regarding speakers.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 17
Also, which cables should i buy to hook everything up? I think im going for the Dali zensor 3. I also found a martanz PM 7004 for 400dollars which im thinking of buying, is it good? Which dac should i get, and how do i hook everything up. I will also be using my system with headphones. thanks

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 17
The martanz PM 7004 is a good speaker amp. It may or may not be optimal for the K550s, depending on its headphone output impedance.

For speaker wire, you don't need anything expensive. Just the oxygen free pure copper wire like this.

Then you'll need cables to connect your DAC to the Marantz. Would be either standard RCA interconnects, or 3.5mm to RCA (depending on the DAC you get).

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Okay, might be a dumb question but how am i dupposed to connect them with that wire? Its just a wire?

Im thinking of getting a dac with xlr output and input cause of better quality and they look sooo good. For dac im considering a Nad D 1050. But then i wont buy the 7004. Should i spend more on a dac or an amp? I will buy the dali zensor 3 along with a akg k551 (not sure about the headphones but they seem good)

Thanks

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 17
You can buy banana clips and put them on the wire, or you can strip the end of the bare wire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySfOKtW_Aig

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 17
Thank you sir. But what about the dac and the amp? Any good combo with the dali zensor 3? My budget is about 400dollars but i thought of buying the dac and amp used so i can get better stuff. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back