Good source for Hakko solder tips
Mar 2, 2010 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend an online merchant who has all the usual Hakko tips for 900M iron? The main quest is for reasonable shipping. I can't find anyone who will ship this tiny thing for less than ~$8.

Also, I need thin-guage solder suitable for SMD. I don't want to pay $20-30 for a spool as I am only doing one project in the foreseeable future. Anyone know where to find small quantities of it? I am coming back to DIY after a long break and I don't remember all the old good spots I had found, so any help is appreciated. (I know there is lots of small quantities on ebay, but I don't do Paypal anymore)

Or (I'm just throwing this out here, sorry if it's distasteful) if anyone is willing to just throw a few feet of thin solder (pref 0.5mm) in an envelope and mail it to me, I will be forever grateful. I don't need more than a yard. I'm in Wisconsin
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Mar 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 8
How close are you to Chicago? There's a Fry's in Downers Grove at I-88 and I-355. They carry genuine Hakko tips. They also ship from a website, but most likely the cheapest ground shipping is around $8 - that's pretty much UPS's minimum.

Many of the regulars such as Mouser, DigiKey, Allied Elec and the like carry Plato tips. I've used both and the Plato's are not up to the same standards as the Hakko tips, IMHO. The Hakko surface plating lasts much longer and transfers heat better.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the ideas everyone; looks like HakkoUSA wins with this one. Apparently UPS ground shipping is always FREE when you buy directly from them. Can't beat that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back