Good source and dt990. Amp needed?
Aug 24, 2007 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

janderclander14

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a dt990'05 plugged directly to a hotrodded x-fi soundcard (lm4562 op-amp). Previously, with stock x-fi I found that the headphones sound was not as engaging or rich as expected. At that moment, I supposed that those issues may be cured by a headphone amp (as they are 250 ohm cans).

However, when using the lm4562 opamp the sound change was radical for the better. Much better instrument separation, soundstage and bass control. The cans signature (sightly bright) is still there but the overall sound is much more refined. The maximum sound level achieved is addequate for normal listening.

I know that there are amps that can adapt or correct some issues of the sound signature (as for example, the warmish of a Corda Arietta or some tube amps can be suitable to lower the highs), however, this effects can also be achieved via parametric EQ or by means of tube convolvers on the digital domain (using the PC as source).

So, the question is, could a headphone amp (mainly SS amps in the range of a Corda Arietta) bring noticeable benefits over this setup in addition to the increased sound level or some addequate coloration?

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm using DT990 05 with a headfive and the same xfi as you. The difference when using the headfive in between xfi and dt990 are first the soundstage. Much larger with headfive than without. The mids gets a little more forward and the highs are toned down a bit. It also loses som sharpness, this is both good and bad. The good part is that they give less fatigue and are smoother, the negative side is that some clarity is lost.

I do use it plugged in for the more forward midrange and smoother sound and larger soundstage.

EDIT: I think DT990 needs a much better source and amp than xfi and h5 to really shine. As it is now, it's not very refined. With my setup, dt880 is a much better headphone, even though I can enjoy dt990 from time to time.

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 4
You will see real benefits from a good amp...say the Eddie Current ECSS or equivalent...no need to go overboard.

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 4
I'll admit to being a Beyer-Head.........and personally have no use for X-Fi or any of the Creative cards, except for games. Generally have Juli@ card in use, with Corda amps eg. HA2 MkII and Prehead Mk II. This is great for Beyers, except for dt880 - where you want a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back