good sounding rock albums?
Dec 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #62 of 65
I think the extent of a lot of the original artists' involvement is signing the checks for the rights to use their name in advertising the remasters.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #63 of 65
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-new-led-zeppelin-remasters/

Actually guys there have been vinyl Zep remasters completely different from the 94 CD box set, the vinyl all in one box set, as well as the Classic Records 200 gram records. These remasters are also nothing like the Mobile Fidelity remasters either!! As i remember right there was three made and released for sale. I actually heard Houses of the Holy on a nice rig and it was totally amazing.

All I can tell you is that yes, there is better ways to hear Led Zeppelin. The legend is that a couple records were made and Jimmy Page stopped the process most likely for what you can read about above, that is coming. He just didn't like the start of the remaster process in it's infancy with the vinyl releases a couple years ago.

Records were already made and released in very limited audiophile pressings.

I have seen the Physical Graffiti (1975) remaster and heard Houses of the Holy (1973) remaster from the discontinued set, amazing as it was, at a fellow Head-Fi place back in 2010.

All I can say is Houses of the Holy was truly amazing. There are so many new details which have been recorded at the original recording and brought back with a correct remaster and play back device.

As we saw with Mother-ship as well as the 180 gram remasters of The Song Remains The Same, Jimmy Page totally has both the tapes and industry connections to deliver a first rate audiophile product. It's exciting as I am truly sure they will get us audiophile vinyl and digital. most likely 24/96 in Blue-Ray Audio, like Celebration Day, of the complete recordings.

The question for me is if the masters are truly there to make the rest of the stuff sound as good or better than the Houses of the Holy disk I heard. Only time will tell.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #64 of 65
I'm really only interested in the first three albums. The CDs sound NOTHING like the original LP release. I did a side by side once and it was shocking how much life had been sucked out of it. No midrange at all, and all of the bass was bunched up at around 100Hz.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #65 of 65
Great albums mentioned so far. Not one bad one I have seen yet. Here are some I will add of my personal favorites that have not been mentioned yet

Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Black Crows - Amorica.
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Joe Satriani - Joe Satriani
The Mars Vola - De-Loused In the Comatorium
Moke - Carnival
Los Lobos - Kiko, Colossal Head, and This Time (they all sound great)
Nada Surf - The Weight is a Gift
Pearl Jam - Yeild
Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze
Van Halen - Van Halen, II, Diver Down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back