good sounding rock albums?
Mar 10, 2009 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
oh how I crave for nice, well crafted sound when I listen to rock recordings.

can you recommend me some nice, uncompressed, energetic rock recordings? something along the lines of RATM's debut album. raw, rocking, powerful.

so far, good recordings that I have (on CD) are:
- led zeppelin's
- RATM
- black sabbath's paranoid- i think it's very nice, aside from some harsh treble. or maybe just my ears.
- dream theater's images and words, metropolis part II. but their greatest hits compilation is quite compressed IIRC.
- exile on main street, sticky fingers by the rolling stones.
- hendrix, band of gypsys
- DSOTM, but i don't really like it musically.

i am waiting for the time when I can enjoy arctic monkeys and red hot chili peppers in good sound quality. I mean What, they are good but the SQ just kills.

for fans out there: how do you cope with these? you have your favorite band but their album is just unlistenable. for some, i am considering the audio from the dvd.

I ripped the audio off led zeppelin DVD and it's really nice.
RHCP's live at slane castle is, IIRC, very, very good, but mine is not with me now so I am unable to rip the sound off the dvd.

and how I am very dissapointed on oasis' latest release. the sound just kills the enjoyment.

pls share.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 65
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga not quite Rage, but awesome, wonderfully recorded rock. Ill post others as I think of them. This is a good thread, btw.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 65
Coheed and Camberia - No world for Tomorrow
The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

These albums all sound pretty good to me. I find the quality to be decent on them and definitely not detract from the music.

Also, maybe I'm not as picky as you
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 65
lol, picky in what sense? i can still stand red hot and arctic monkeys. but oasis' dig out your soul is the first time i feel intense pain on my ears. don't tell me its because of the ES7's clamp.

speaking about raconteurs, yes, i heard it before and the album sounds nice. MUCH better than the white stripes. any good recordings on white stripes?

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 65
All Rush discography is pretty well produced ( on vinyl at least, don't know those remastered versions ).

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All Rush discography is pretty well produced ( on vinyl at least, don't know those remastered versions ).

at least with the exception of Vapor Trails. Apparently Snakes & Arrows is rather loud as well

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for fans out there: how do you cope with these? you have your favorite band but their album is just unlistenable.

Easy! I track down the best source and remaster it myself.
biggrin.gif

See HERE

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 65
Jack Bruce "Sitting On Top Of The World" or its expanded version "Cities Of The Heart"
Eric Clapton "Unplugged"
Cream "Royal Albert Hall" 2CD
Deep Purple "Made In Japan"
Emerson Lake & Palmer "Pictures At An Exhibition"
Peter Gabriel "Plays Live"
Grateful Dead "Fillmore West 1969"
Jimi Hendrix Experience "Axis Bold As Love"
King Crimson "In The Wake Of Poseidon" and "On Broadway"
Led Zeppelin "How The West Was Won"
Little Feat "Waiting For Columbus"
Joni Mitchell "Shadows And Light"
Van Morrison "It's Too Late To Stop Now"
Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells"
Rolling Stones "Stripped"
Santana "Lotus"
Steely Dan "Aja"
Yes "The Yes Album"

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jack Bruce "Sitting On Top Of The World" or its expanded version "Cities Of The Heart"
Eric Clapton "Unplugged"
Cream "Royal Albert Hall" 2CD
Deep Purple "Made In Japan"
Emerson Lake & Palmer "Pictures At An Exhibition"
Peter Gabriel "Plays Live"
Grateful Dead "Fillmore West 1969"
Jimi Hendrix Experience "Axis Bold As Love"
King Crimson "In The Wake Of Poseidon" and "On Broadway"
Led Zeppelin "How The West Was Won"
Little Feat "Waiting For Columbus"
Joni Mitchell "Shadows And Light"
Van Morrison "It's Too Late To Stop Now"
Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells"
Rolling Stones "Stripped"
Santana "Lotus"
Steely Dan "Aja"
Yes "The Yes Album"

Great list!
regular_smile .gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 65
oooh yes i have some of those. i love rush, but rush in rio is quite painful on the ears. it is a very good live performance though. HTWWW is nice, but i found the song remains the same a tad more refined. may be wrong though. i wish listen to this eddie can be better recorded, it's such a brutal zep performance.

LFF- then how about those modern albums? i really wanted arctic monkeys, white stripes, and rhcp to be better remixed. i have the stadium arcadium vinyl rip but its not the best ripping.

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LFF- then how about those modern albums? i really wanted arctic monkeys, white stripes, and rhcp to be better remixed. i have the stadium arcadium vinyl rip but its not the best ripping.

You really have to track down the best sources. For example - there are many vinyl rips floating around but few know how to rip and process vinyl correctly much less remaster it.

For remixing, there is only so much you can do in the digital domain without adversely affecting sound quality but I do what I can with what I got. Ideally you'd want to get the stems or at least the master tapes but hey, it's better than nothing.
wink_face.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 65
don't let sound quality dictate the music you listen to.

californication is god awful sounding yet i listen to it on a weekly basis because it's one of my all time favorite albums. vinyl pressing of stadium arcadium remastered by steve hoffman is not bad, as is his version of white stripes icky thump.

for a great performance + sound quality as icing on the cake, mobile fidelity version of cream - disraeli gears probably takes my vote.

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #14 of 65
Also, the UK vinyl version of Elephant is AWESOME.

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #15 of 65
no worries, i dont get dictated, that's why i am constantly looking for the better. rhcp are awesome musicians.

LFF- the files in your link sound so awesome, omg. i only own the digitally remastered 90s version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back