Good sounding cd player
Dec 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Archangel83

New Head-Fier
Hi I am looking to buy a good sounding portable cd player and allot of these new players use digital compression to store sound in a anti skip buffer and was wondering what I should look for and buy when shopping for one of these devices. I would consider myself an entry level audiophile.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 21
Do people still use personal CD players these days? You could get yourself a cheap Sansa clip+ as a half decent introductory mp3 player and rip all your CD's to a few SD cards to avoid having to carry around so many CD's?  See- http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0043M5UQ0/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550951389&ref=asc_df_B0043M5UQ0

If you are sure a personal CD player is what you want and dont find carrying cd's around with you an issue... I dont know how good they are these days but 20 years ago the Sony personal minidisc players generally used to be the best option to go for in terms of model choice, sound quality and they had a nice sound signature. Sounds like you know what you are looking for... 'shockproof' and a large buffer

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 21
I sure love my minidisc recorder, and my brother lost it. He left it in his vehicle when he send to garage, does they even know how to use a minidisc 
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
I sure love my minidisc recorder, and my brother lost it. He left it in his vehicle when he send to garage, does they even know how to use a minidisc 
confused_face(1).gif

Yep, I've had a few MD players/recorders myself and loved them too. Time has moved on though, my favourite and best sounding MD recorder (Mz900) was outperformed (soundwise) by my Sony X-series... which also has other obvious advantages too. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 21
Archangel 83, you can get cd players with or without line-out on ebay even walmart sells a Sony for around $40 and you can always disable the antishock, I have worked in electronic companies in the past and have used almost every portable dap sold here in U.S.A. and I can guarantee you that their sound quality does not compare to the sound quality of a portable cd player, yes you have to burn cd's and you may only put 16 songs in each cd, but it's not like you are going out to the desert, you want Sound Quality right? look buy any dap and a portable cd player compare them and return the one you do not like!

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 21
Archangel 83, you can get cd players with or without line-out on ebay even walmart sells a Sony for around $40 and you can always disable the antishock, I have worked in electronic companies in the past and have used almost every portable dap sold here in U.S.A. and I can guarantee you that their sound quality does not compare to the sound quality of a portable cd player, yes you have to burn cd's and you may only put 16 songs in each cd, but it's not like you are going out to the desert, you want Sound Quality right? look buy any dap and a portable cd player compare them and return the one you do not like!

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 21
The Panasonic MP3 CD players sounded quite good. Carrying a portable CD player and many CDs around is very annoying. I did it 10 years ago, and was so happy to replace it with a flash memory based mp3 player.I can't even hear the difference between 256kbps mp3 files and the original CD, so carrying around a CD player is a waste for me. Besides which, if people see you carrying around a portable CD player, they will give you strange looks(especially if you are also carrying around a case with a large number of discs).

I agree with what the others wrote. Buy a Sandisk Clip+ mp3 player.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #11 of 21
PCDP? Folks are still using these?...lol.....jk...The OP did not state in his opening post that he was looking for a transportable / traveling PCDP?  Yes, for a transportable solution there are many DAPs that will fit the bill much better.  For mulling around the house at a desk or stationary they are pretty good....

Evolution...We can't let DAPs push out PCDPs completely.  Just like we can't let PCs push out CDPs completely either...lol....We must represent....lol....

Cheers!!!!

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
MiamiHeatFan what model is that PCDP? I own a Sony D-25 with line-out one of the best ever made, if you want to check it let me know I am from the Miami area too

Hey Gorillaz,

It's a D-141 which has a line out as well.  Sounds great indeed......Yes, the D-25 was the benchmark from what I have heard/read.  Hard to come by under $200 nowadays...Definitely a keeper....Solid vintage 1989 PCDP....I believe ALO had some in stock before for $275.

Definitely would like to check it out...Thanks...A local buddy (head-fier too) from Deerfield and myself usually get together every couple of months and check out some gear...The Holidays were busy, but I think we might be looking at the end of the month from when we last spoke.  I'll keep you posted...

Cheers!!!

Heat win in OT 119-109....
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
.....and have used almost every portable dap sold here in U.S.A. and I can guarantee you that their sound quality does not compare to the sound quality of a portable cd player, 

That is a big statement... what daps have you compared yours to?

I guess they dont make them like they used to and are not all similar in SQ .  I briefly owned a low-mid range personal Sony CD player in the mid 90's and although good at the time, I found it very strange that my MD players sounded better overall.

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
Hi I am looking to buy a good sounding portable cd player and allot of these new players use digital compression to store sound in a anti skip buffer and was wondering what I should look for and buy when shopping for one of these devices. I would consider myself an entry level audiophile.

Just go for a digital player like a Sansa Clip+. You can rip to FLAC, an have the same quality as a CD. I would say Sansa Clip + or Clip Zip. Both have microSD card slots, and thus can get up to 72 gigs with an 8gb model and a 64gb card. Also, you can just swap out the cards to get extra storage. Just make sure to rip your CDs to 44.1 khz FLAC. Their is better sound quality available, such as records, which can get to 96 khz or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back