Good sound card for laptop under $100
Dec 11, 2007 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

P.J

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy a sound card for my new laptop that have same SQ compared to my X-Fi Xtreme Music.

I'm consider on Xmod. Can it drive my 595s well ?
basshead.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to buy a sound card for my new laptop that have same SQ compared to my X-Fi Xtreme Music.

basshead.gif

If you're talking about the Creative X-mod, which is the portable USB-sound card / audio effects unit, I do not recommend it. I purchased one last year for around $70-$80 and I don't think it's worth the money. I find the sound quality to be not much better than most onboard audio (laptop or desktop w/ integrated audio on motherboard). The crystalizer is only useful if you listen to very low bitrate files (say, 192 kbps or lower), and I wasn't a fun of the 3-D effects.

On the other hand, I have been pretty happy with my Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (TBAAM) which I bought for $30 two weeks ago.

The HD595 aren't that hard to drive so the X-mod would probably be able to drive it. The TBAAM can drive even the most inefficient headphones, it's pretty odd.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

basshead.gif

Add $50 for new Echo Indigo DJ. It has better SQ and drives 595 very well. Or buy it used for less than $100.

Anyway, it worths every penny. It has potential as a source also, you may feed any amp from its lineout, which is very good.

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 17
If you want a soundcard solution for a laptop, the main question is whether you want amped output or line-level out that will feed into an external amp.

Amped options sub-$100 are thin on the ground, and not really worth it compared to what $150 or $200 will buy. If you can't swing that, I'd recommend just grabbing a TBAAM or other cheapo USB sound controller. It'll be an improvement on most stock laptop sound, and will drive higher-impedance headphones better. Go up to $150, and you can get something like an E-mu 0404 usb, which many people seem to like. I don't personally recommend the Echo Indigo, which I had and didn't like. There are also other external soundcards you might find cheaply, like say a Philips Aurilium if you can find one.

Unamped, there are a few more choices, not soundcards exactly, but the cheapest dacs on the market, say an old Entech or a Silverstone EB01. I just got a Super Pro USB for $110 that sounds pretty good to my ears, better than my Indigo did.

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 17
I just ordered a Super Pro USB for my laptop, but I already have PA2V2 for amplification.

I have to say that compared to my AV-710 unamped, the amplifier opened a whole new world for me.

(I'm using HD-280's at the moment)

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 17
Sound card + separate amplifier will sound better indeed than most (if not all) sound cards.

Facelvega, what is wrong with Indigo? Have you compared it to E-MU 0404?

Convenience factor may also to be considered for laptop use. If it matters (it does for me), then Cardbus cards are better than bulky USB solutions, like E-MU 0404 or ext.DACS/amps. Small USB stick-type cards are also good in this area (not in SQ).

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cardbus cards are better than bulky USB solutions, like E-MU 0404 or ext.DACS/amps

Do you prefer Express Card over USB ?
confused.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Facelvega, what is wrong with Indigo? Have you compared it to E-MU 0404?

Just a personal opinion. I found the Indigo almost offensively unmusical. Indigo lovers attacked me for it at the time, but now that I have sources better than the Indigo I'll stand by my position. Never yet tried an 0404 USB, just read many glowing reviews. But of course there are also many glowing reviews of the Indigo, so caveat emptor.

Quote:

Convenience factor may also to be considered for laptop use. If it matters (it does for me), then Cardbus cards are better than bulky USB solutions, like E-MU 0404 or ext.DACS/amps. Small USB stick-type cards are also good in this area (not in SQ).

How about my backup, the Hipphifi Bloat? Under $200 depending on options, sound only a notch or two below an entry-level full system with separate dac and amp, and it's quite small, light, and only uses USB power. I feel like it's actually more convenient than a cardbus card, because it's more sturdy and it's easier to plug in and out.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Do you prefer Express Card over USB ?
confused.gif

In terms of SQ - no. External USB DACs are separated of internal electrical noises of your PC or laptop, so they may sound better.

In terms of convenience (portability) - yes. It would be hard to carry your laptop around your home with E-MU 0404 attached
smily_headphones1.gif
I used Corda Move this manner and found it tiresome.

Small stick-type solutions, like TBAAM, are quite portable. I just do not know any good sounding among of them.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 17
Facelvega,

in no event I would attack you defending Indigo sound. Indigo is just an inexpensive and very convenient portable mid- or even low-fi solution, that is.

I google for "Hipphifi Bloat" with no luck. May you point me to its page? I'm interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back