Good solder options?
Jul 14, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #31 of 60
The best stuff I have ever used is Kester water-soluble solder. The flux is absolutely fantastic compared to regular ratshack solder. The solder flows right to the connection, there's no messing around with this stuff.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
The best stuff I have ever used is Kester water-soluble solder. The flux is absolutely fantastic compared to regular ratshack solder. The solder flows right to the connection, there's no messing around with this stuff.

It does flux well, but isn't it electrically conductive? That would be a problem on some of the more difficult soldering scenarios where the better performing flux mattered, like SMT ICs. Granted it can be cleaned off to avoid the problem and I do sometimes use water soluble on difficult parts, but it can require certain order of building since cable sheaths and pots, etc, could be problematic if water got in.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
Melting point is determined by it's metal/% composition. Neither Cardas, or any other brand will have a different melting point if the same % of the same metals.

See the thing is, the Cardas solder uses a mixture of 4 metals, so the composition will be different than the more standard solders. The composition of this quad-metal mixture is supposedly at the eutectic point too, a lower melting point than say the 63/37 solder.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #34 of 60
I'll put in for regular, Kester 60/40. I've used silver solders and a few futzy ones, but nothing flows like a nice 60/40. There is *no* difference in sound between solders, either. There are just good joints and bad ones. I think 60/40 flows and sets up best of all. Because of that, I get better joints and the correct sound from a circuit.

And for all their shortcomings, Radio Shack solder is actually pretty good. I'm loyal to Kester, but Radio Shack is just fine.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
See the thing is, the Cardas solder uses a mixture of 4 metals, so the composition will be different than the more standard solders. The composition of this quad-metal mixture is supposedly at the eutectic point too, a lower melting point than say the 63/37 solder.

I can see this as a benefit in soldering copper wire with non-teflon insulation but where else? I don't find 63/37 melting point a problem.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Any time a company tries to tell me that they have a "secret ingredient" that makes their product so much more wonderful than the next company's, alarm bells ring off in my head. If there really was such a wonder mixture, don't you think someone would have done proper documented and published research already? People have been practicing metallurgy for a REALLY long time.

Jul 14, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
Any time a company tries to tell me that they have a "secret ingredient" that makes their product so much more wonderful than the next company's, alarm bells ring off in my head. If there really was such a wonder mixture, don't you think someone would have done proper documented and published research already? People have been practicing metallurgy for a REALLY long time.

Where do they claim to use a "secret ingredient?" It's explicitly said that the quad-eutectic mixture uses tin, lead, silver, and copper.

Jul 14, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios

There's no special ingredient, just a proprietry mixture of metals (Copper, Silver, Lead, Tin). It's just about maintaining your own trade secrets.

Anyway, I tried many types of solders:
Kester Eutectic, Kester Eutectic blend w/ Silver, WBT Silver Solder, Wonder Solder, Siltech Silver Solder, Cardas Quad Eutectic, Asahi Eutectic Solder, Goot Silver Solder and not to mention the generic 60/ 40 stuff.
I still prefer WBT & Cardas Quad Eutectic at the end of the day. They melt easily and flow really smoothly. Makes soldering more of a joy. On top of that, the rosin they use doesn't give off a pungent smell and they always give a good solid joint.

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #40 of 60
Personally, I like the WBT Silver and Cardas Quad Eutectic solders. As Dreamslacker mentioned, they melt at a low temperature and flow well due to the higher flux content. This is particularly important when the item that you're soldering can't withstand too much heat (e.g. Eichmann Bullets and other plastic components).

As a bonus, the WBT is lead-free. The Cardas is also available as a Tri Eutectic (minus the lead).

On the other hand, I've never had a problem with good ol' Kester "44" (63/37 eutectic). Hard to go wrong with this stuff. It's cheap and the low-flux formulation makes for reduced flux spatter. And the smell reminds me of high school shop class.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #41 of 60
If you have the money, buy the Cardas. And buy a 1 lb. roll. I have a couple and like the solder very much.

This also takes care of the second guessing, you'll have the Cardas and not the Kester.

Later,

Jul 16, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by stadams
If you have the money, buy the Cardas. And buy a 1 lb. roll. I have a couple and like the solder very much.

This also takes care of the second guessing, you'll have the Cardas and not the Kester.

Later,

That's my feeling, I'd rather have the best and not keep thinking, I could have had something better (possibly) for only a little bit more.

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #43 of 60
If your parts aren't particularly intolerant to heat, there should be no need to use a crutch like low-melting-point solder instead of learning good soldering techniques.

If the solder has more flux in it, you're getting even less *usable* solder for the $. That may be OK for some jobs, but others require more flux for best results anyway so it's not as though you can simply avoid buying flux and still have good results with only a high priced solder, and then having the flux, you have no need for more in the solder. If the flux smells nice, it's probably less active and you weren't comparing to the same type of flux from the other brand.

Just an opinion of course, but I'd be throwing away money buying Cardas solder and the second-guessing would be that it's an inferior solder, because if using common ingredients was such a benefit, the major solder manufacturers would be doing it too. I suspect there are also detractions, that dozens of years of research and millions of dollars spent by major solder manufacturers does result in a better solder than from a small audio company.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Where do they claim to use a "secret ingredient?" It's explicitly said that the quad-eutectic mixture uses tin, lead, silver, and copper.

The ratio of mixture is the "secret ingredient". The Cardas FAQ claims that the quadeutectic's composition is approximately 61/35/3/1, yet never have I seen this mixture documented anywhere else. My thoughts echo mono's exactly; if this mixture is so great, why don't any of the major solder manufacturers offer it? Kester, for example, has been making solder for all kinds of high end markets since 1899. Instead, this particular mixture is offered only by a small time audio company dealing in expensive cable voodoo, of all things. I'd be worried what Kester knows that caused them to discard this mixture as a potential product. Like mono said, instead of relying on a possibly inferior solder's amount of flux and ability to flow than proper soldering skills, it's better to buy a tub of flux ($1.28 at digikey...) and get good solder flow and a nice joint the right way.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #45 of 60
this topic is an invitation for a flame-fest. (IMO)
==============================
let me just add that I would buy a good solder:

1. that has been recommended by knowledgeable people
2. still within my budget.

it doesn't have to be WBT, Cardas or a specific brand. As long as the 2 criteria above were met

(criteria 2 is more important that criteria 1 though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back