good silver solder that won't break the bank
Oct 10, 2006 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I have some rat shack silver solder that I used, but then I picked up a roll of kester 245 series solder and haven't really looked back because it's so much nicer to work with. I do however want to get some more 'better' silver bearing solder but I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

so what's some good silver bearing solder that isn't too expensive.

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 22
active 44 kester 2% from mouser. only $38 + postage for 1 pound.

ps. this kind of thread is an invitation for a flame fest. did you search first before creating this thread?

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 22
If you want things that are better to work with just grab striaght 60/40 solder. a 3% difference in materials does not make a difference in sound but it sure as hell makes a difference to the melting point and workability.

Oct 10, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
If you want things that are better to work with just grab striaght 60/40 solder. a 3% difference in materials does not make a difference in sound but it sure as hell makes a difference to the melting point and workability.

I was going to suggest 63/37 solder but I decided to stick with the topic
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 22
Hey,

I heard people originally used silver-bearing solder for uses in very harsh environments. Is this true?

And, I also use Radio Shack Silver Bearing Solder. It makes very shiny high tone finish. But Garbz is right 60/40 flow better. I was supplied with them at work. Too bad I have entire roll of Radio Shack Stuff.

I am at the same point as Soloz2. I am very curious if more expensive stuff is better. I ought to try it out myself, but if you know some stuff it would save me a bundle.

Thank you,
Tomo

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo
Hey,

I heard people originally used silver-bearing solder for uses in very harsh environments. Is this true?

And, I also use Radio Shack Silver Bearing Solder. It makes very shiny high tone finish. But Garbz is right 60/40 flow better. I was supplied with them at work. Too bad I have entire roll of Radio Shack Stuff.

I am at the same point as Soloz2. I am very curious if more expensive stuff is better. I ought to try it out myself, but if you know some stuff it would save me a bundle.

Thank you,
Tomo

from what I read RS solders are inconsistent because they buy from different manufacturers. from what someone else has said, this is evident by the different packaging.

I guess it depends on the quantity + discount at the time of purchase. you could easily get a good one like a kester or something else.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 22
Alright, sorry I was a little vague...

Yes, I did search before posting... I didn't find exactly what I wanted. While there are several threads about silver solder they are mostly about should I use silver bearing solder or not... not what is good silver solder and is it worth the extra $ to get name brand silver solder. And this is more what I am after.

I use Kester 245 'no clean' series eutectic solder so I'm not just using cheap 60/40. It is much better then the rat shack solder I have in every regard so I know that spending a bit more money on solder is warrented.

I'm interested in probably something along the lines of 62/36/2 solder. 4% silver might be nice, but is it necessary? I would imagine the melting point would be higher so is it worth it?

Also, would kester be the way to go, or should I look into other brands like Cardas, or other brands that often find their way to DIY audio sites. Is it possible to get good silver bearing solder for around $30 a spool?

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 22
You may not need any other solder than what you already have. Silver solder would be nice when 1. you have something to solder that already contains some silver in it or 2. you are really want to spend some money for that shiny joint that silver can give. Otherwise, its pointless. I'd rather stick with 60/40 or 63/37 and invest on better parts rather than tiny amount of silver in the solder. However, you are not me, and it seems you really want some silver stuff. So Kester 44 series 2% silver solder will be a good choice. I tried it before, and it was alright. Nice and shinny. Not sure about other brand like Cadas. Do they make their own or they bought from other manufacturor? If the later is the case, the chances are they got theirs from Kester or smaller company than that. I do not think it will be any better than Kesters.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel
60/40 is not eutectic. 63/37 is eutectic.

where did this comment come from? btw... thanks for the clarification... but I'm not sure it was confused in this thread...

Seaside, thanks for the info. Yeah, I know that it's not necessary. I've found myself making quite a few interconnects lately and have used some parts with some silver and have also been looking at silver RCA's so that's my reason for looking at better silver bearing solder then I currently have. I'd still use my regular eutectic kester solder for most work.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 22
I'm pretty sure that solder makes negligible difference in actual sound. It's all about the workability of the solder and the ease of use.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 22
Soloz -

For what you're doing, 2% silver is more than enough, get a pack from ratshack, you wont be using much of it anyway.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
Soloz -

For what you're doing, 2% silver is more than enough, get a pack from ratshack, you wont be using much of it anyway.

lol... I don't like the rat shack solder... oh well.

Oct 10, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 22
I use Kester 44 63/37 mostly, but I have some rat shack 60/40. Sometimes I prefer the RS 60/40.

As for RS silver, Kester Silver, or whoevers silver, it really all comes down to one big question ...... got a can of flux ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back