good setup of headphone+amp+dac for the music I like, $500 budget
May 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

UniversalMan

New Head-Fier
How I currently listen to music is either through my iPhone 3G or my Dell Studio 1555 with the stock sound card and some Sennheiser HD203's. I'm trying to save up some money to really step up my audiophile game and I think it'd be best to just hold off on buying intermediary stuff, save some money and go for a decent set-up from the start.

I'm looking for some full-size headphones, open or closed, whichever's best. I'd be listening to stuff mostly on my laptop so portability isn't a huge deal. if I were to get some decent cans that weren't really portable I could still use my HD203's for my iPhone. 

I'm very likely going to need some form of DAC/Amp especially because of my laptop's subpar sound card, to say the least. I see a lot of people recommend the O2 amp, and I noticed that the ODAC is coming out pretty soon so maybe that could be a good choice. Again, I'm not looking for any portable amps right now.

The only reference I can give in terms of sound quality is the music I listen to, really. this is most of the music I listen by genres and favorite bands: 

* indie rock - sufjan stevens, fleet foxes
* indie pop - dr dog, belle and sebastian, of montreal
* electronic - lcd soundsystem, daft punk, justice
* pop rock - beatles, beach boys
* prog / psych rock - mgmt, pink floyd

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

P.S. Should I post this to the Headphone Amps subforum as well?

May 6, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 29
If you're handy with soldering and electrical diagrams you could try a Starving Student Millet Hybrid amp paired with Sennheiser HD600's. AFAIK, they're a pretty good match.

May 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 29
Not everyone wants to mod headphones. You could buy a pair of denon d5k and get a fiio e10, still be under budget and not mod anything. Furthermore, those things would sell on the used forum here in a second close to their retail value.  

May 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 29
the T50rp's wield high potential, but only through the patience and determination of modding, they're very good all arounders and still have smooth vocals and speed that signifies orthos, buy the t50rp's and modding materials of you have the patience. If not go with the d5000's and fiio e10

May 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
the T50rp's wield high potential, but only through the patience and determination of modding, they're very good all arounders and still have smooth vocals and speed that signifies orthos, buy the t50rp's and modding materials of you have the patience. If not go with the d5000's and fiio e10

I found the my T20RPs to be quite good stock when heavily equalized. I did some quick mods to mine, but decided to fill the rest of the gap with EQ rather than more modding. If you're willing to play with a parametric equalizer and a good amp, the T50RP is a great purchase regardless. 

May 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 29
I found the my T20RPs to be quite good stock when heavily equalized. I did some quick mods to mine, but decided to fill the rest of the gap with EQ rather than more modding. If you're willing to play with a parametric equalizer and a good amp, the T50RP is a great purchase regardless. 

Not quite, the newer versions are much less enjoyable than the old stock, but have a much higher modding potential.

May 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
Not quite, the newer versions are much less enjoyable than the old stock, but have a much higher modding potential.

In terms of overall clarity, at the price point that the T20RP/T50RP fight at, if you apply like a +15 dB bass boost and tame the mid emphasis by boosting the highs as well, I found them very clear with a nice sound signature overall. Those were at least my notes from listening before I modded. 

May 7, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 29
Honestly, I would prefer to just buy something that I can trust to be good. I've never in my life dealt with modding any sort of electronics, its not something I'm really comfortable with doing. 

May 7, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:
Honestly, I would prefer to just buy something that I can trust to be good. I've never in my life dealt with modding any sort of electronics, its not something I'm really comfortable with doing. 

Then perhaps like headphonatic mentioned, d5000's and fiio e10. Or you could try the D2000 and Matrix M-stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back