Good Resistors
Sep 21, 2007 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LawnGnome

Banned
What are a good through-hole 1% 1watt resistor?

I'm trying to find some resistors for a PPA build, and can't find anything good. I need something from digikey.

Should I avoid wire wound resistors? What kinds are best?

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Except for very low values or high power ratings, don't get anything but metal film resistors. Most other types can't be found in 1% tolerance anyway, but these are the 'standard' type and are also the best for most applications.

Vishay/Dale are very popular around here (and excellent quality/spec), and DigiKey has recently started selling them. Look for the Vishay/Dale CMF55 series, such as CMF1.00KHFCT-ND. Some values may show 0 'quantity available', but don't despair; check the backorder date. Most, if not all, values will show the next day. This just means that DigiKey hasn't opened a reel of that value yet and will do so when they pack your order. It's a fairly new series for them, so not all values have been opened yet. CMF50 would be suitable as well as a 1/4w part, but they are quite small for most boards that expect 1/4w resistors; the 1/2w parts usually fit better.

Otherwise, a metal film resistor is a metal film resistor. Go with cheap Yageo resistors, but they'll often end up costing you more than the V/D's because they can only be ordered by 10s.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except for very low values or high power ratings, don't get anything but metal film resistors. Most other types can't be found in 1% tolerance anyway, but these are the 'standard' type and are also the best for most applications.

Vishay/Dale are very popular around here (and excellent quality/spec), and DigiKey has recently started selling them. Look for the Vishay/Dale CMF55 series, such as CMF1.00KHFCT-ND. Some values may show 0 'quantity available', but don't despair; check the backorder date. Most, if not all, values will show the next day. This just means that DigiKey hasn't opened a reel of that value yet and will do so when they pack your order. It's a fairly new series for them, so not all values have been opened yet. CMF50 would be suitable as well as a 1/4w part, but they are quite small for most boards that expect 1/4w resistors; the 1/2w parts usually fit better.

Otherwise, a metal film resistor is a metal film resistor. Go with cheap Yageo resistors, but they'll often end up costing you more than the V/D's because they can only be ordered by 10s.

They only seem to have SMD mount metal films at digikey.

And I'll check BC components.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BC components at Digikey.

BC are being phased out at Digikey. The PPC are effectively the same, and they do still carry those. You can still find odd values in BC also, until they deplete their stock.

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They only seem to have SMD mount metal films at digikey.

And I'll check BC components.

The part number I pasted is a TH part...

As I said, if you're searching under 'in stock' parts, you might not find what you're looking for since it's a new item for DK and many show 0 available quantity.

I just bought a set of CMF50 for my Mini3 build and have purchased quite a few CMF55 in other orders so I know they have them.

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome
Are metal film better than Carbon or metal oxide film?

Metal film generally have tighter tolerances, less noise and a lower temperature coefficient, however some say that they sound a bit harsh compared to good carbon resistors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back