Good, relatively inexpensive amp for my K701
Jun 8, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #16 of 21
I have a pair of inexpensive Behringer monitors (about $60.00) with headphone out, surprisingly the k701 sounded very well out of the monitors. Better than my Yamaha receiver or DAC.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JungleMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I would like to know of some good amps for this particular headphone. I'm looking to keep it under or at the $300 mark, the cheaper the better...

Quote:

Well, in response to criticisms of this thread... I realize that this thread is similar but I'm asking the question nobody seems to ask (probably because they already know the answer, or something)... where to actually purchase these amps.

I've had no problems finding most of the headphones people mention, but there seems to be no definitive online store for amps (hint hint...an ambitious and rich person on this forum could make a killing by opening one). I know many of you have (somehow) been buying amps for years, but please understand a newbie's frustration when someone in another thread says "Oh, XYZ amp is perfect...but you either have to email some Hotmail address in Asia or spending 2 months hunting down a used one, sorry!"

That's why after searching/reading, I am more attracted to amps like the RSA Hornet/Tomahawk, the LD++, the Darkvoice (still would like to hear input on that amp, btw), the BitHead, because I can actually buy them! (either through eBay or through the manufacturer) But I don't want to just buy an amp because it's available...I want to buy an amp that will work well with my K701

smily_headphones1.gif

You can ask Tyll but I doubt anyone without a large fortune could make a small fortune selling sub $300 headphone amps retail

HeadRoom and Todd the Vinyl Junkie do stock some but the # for retail and the microscopic size of the dedicated "hi end" headphone amp market are going to make anything except iPod accessories or big ticket items harder to find

if you expect any build quality at all you have to understand that the retail distribution cost model leaves nothing for the manufacturer - so ebay store fronts or direct paypal internet sales will be the main source at this lower price level product

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #18 of 21
Interesting points, I'm aware that you guys definitely know a lot more about this than I do... I'm just giving the newbie's perspective on it, seeing as high-end headphones themselves (many of which seem to beg for amps) are viable retail items, headphone amps seem to be viable as well. But I guess I'm wrong...

I don't really mind buying direct from manufacturer or even on eBay (if there's ample supply), I just wish it wasn't a scavenger hunt to find some of these amps that are often recommended...
frown.gif

But yeah, back to the topic at hand... I know it's outside of my price range, but the Hornet has piqued my interest since SO many people say good things about them (and you can actually buy them)...and I know tube amps are good but as a newbie, I'd rather not mess with having to replace them and stuff, so solid state might work better for me. What is the difference between Hornet and Hornet M? The Tomahawk also looks like a viable option as well, but not sure how well it matches with the 701.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

I've had no problems finding most of the headphones people mention, but there seems to be no definitive online store for amps (hint hint...an ambitious and rich person on this forum could make a killing by opening one). I know many of you have (somehow) been buying amps for years, but please understand a newbie's frustration when someone in another thread says "Oh, XYZ amp is perfect...but you either have to email some Hotmail address in Asia or spending 2 months hunting down a used one, sorry!"
smily_headphones1.gif

That´s due to the fact that nobody see your location in your profile. At least i can give to a link to a shop with worldwide free shipping and tax free ordering outside the EC. The mentioned Arietta:
CORDA ARIETTA

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #21 of 21
Location has been corrected
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah, I guess I don't know enough about tube amps, but I was always under the impression that tubes have a finite life and you have to replace them every so often. I'm not ruling out a tube amp though, especially if you guys think a tube amp would be better suited for my K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back