Good, relatively inexpensive amp for my K701
Jun 7, 2007 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JungleMan

Head-Fier
So I just ordered a pair of AKG K701 tonight, and I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to need an amp or not. One thing I do know about these is that they greatly benefit from an amp. I've heard a few people mention that they are usable without an amp but don't really shine.

I'm going to ultimately wait until they arrive to make my final judgment on whether I need to immediately purchase an amp, or if it can wait, but as they ship, I would like to know of some good amps for this particular headphone. I'm looking to keep it under or at the $300 mark, the cheaper the better.

Little Dot II++ seems to get a lot of good buzz, and it's very much within my price range.
Darkvoice 336i also gets a lot of mention, definitely on the pricey side for me, but if you all think it'd be worth it over a cheaper amp.
I've also heard some stuff about the HeadRoom amps, but am aware that they are definitely on the lower end of the spectrum (but are also less expensive).

Any recommendations are welcome, [size=small]please try to keep recommendations to amps that are readily available for purchase in the US[/size], a link would be nice too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 21
I don't have 701's but have heard they need quite a bit of power to run well, Little dot II has capacitor coupled output which is not great for 701's 62 ohm (not saying it won't work, but by theory it is not the best to use). Have no idea what circuit the 336i has.

For around $300, a PPA maybe? the output buffer stage is upgradable PPA, so if you do need more juice, just stack a buffer.
cool.gif

Have fun

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 21
try search: at least one "K701 amp" in title thread has been opened each week in the last few months at 41 in the past year the average is a little slower

after reading a little bit of a few of them you might be able to ask a more specific question

heck you could even read the ones that have been active today

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have 701's but have heard they need quite a bit of power to run well, Little dot II has capacitor coupled output which is not great for 701's 62 ohm (not saying it won't work, but by theory it is not the best to use). Have no idea what circuit the 336i has.

For around $300, a PPA maybe? the output buffer stage is upgradable PPA, so if you do need more juice, just stack a buffer.
cool.gif

Have fun

Thanks for the advice, but I don't understand half of what you said
tongue.gif
this is mostly new to me. What is a PPA and where would I purchase one?

The Hornet is more than I'm looking to spend at $350 + shipping. I want to explore options under $300 first, and if none exist, I may consider the Hornet.

Jun 7, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 21
Given that the Hornet was designed to be a portable amp, I'm rather skeptical whenever I hear people recommending it to those who don't need the portability. But I admit I've never heard the amp, so take what I said with a grain of salt.
smily_headphones1.gif

The LDII++ is a great amp and is pretty reliable in its current incarnation. Prices on the used market is extremely attractive and I think it's a great amp for people who are just starting. Just an FYI, the LDII+ is an even better sounding amp according to many members here who have owned both the + and ++ versions (myself included). Paradoxically, the price for an used LDII+ has been lower than an used LDII++, so if you're price-consciouse, the LDII+ is a great way to go provided that you're familiar with the various reliability problems that plague some LDII+ units.

Also in that price-range, the HeadFive is a fine sounding amp with a more powerful sound than the LD albeit at the expense of relatively drier midrange.

If I were to do it again, though, I would've saved up and get an used PPX3 SLAM 6SN7 from SinglePower for ~$450.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 21
Are you implying that the LD+ is better than LD++? If so, talk about confusing naming schemes...
eek.gif
I'd probably want to go with the one with lower reliability issues though.

The LD++ seems like it might be a worthy choice though (if I can hear from more people who've used it with the 701... I didn't really understand that capacitator thing mentioned before) since it's a tube amp and it fits into my price range well. I'd consider a solid-state amp though, whatever generates good sound for my price range
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the HeadFive recommendation too, haven't heard that one before. Let me reiterate though: I am only looking for amps that I can readily purchase. It appears the HeadFive is a limited edition that has totally sold out.
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 21
This is gonna turn out to be another one of those list-every-amp-on-the-market threads.
biggrin.gif

Yes, I think the LDII+ sounds better than the LDII++, the ++ came out to address reliability issues on the + by using a different power tube and redesigning the circuit to accomondate the new tube. Whereas the old tube is a directly heated triode, the new tube on the ++ is not directly heated and some say that's the reason why it does not sound as good.

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 21
i was wondering when someone was going to get sick of all these threads. there's enough around to surf for days. and believe me, i should know.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try search: at least one "K701 amp" in title thread has been opened each week in the last few months at 41 in the past year the average is a little slower

after reading a little bit of a few of them you might be able to ask a more specific question

heck you could even read the ones that have been active today

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 21
Well, in response to criticisms of this thread... I realize that this thread is similar but I'm asking the question nobody seems to ask (probably because they already know the answer, or something)... where to actually purchase these amps.

I've had no problems finding most of the headphones people mention, but there seems to be no definitive online store for amps (hint hint...an ambitious and rich person on this forum could make a killing by opening one). I know many of you have (somehow) been buying amps for years, but please understand a newbie's frustration when someone in another thread says "Oh, XYZ amp is perfect...but you either have to email some Hotmail address in Asia or spending 2 months hunting down a used one, sorry!"

That's why after searching/reading, I am more attracted to amps like the RSA Hornet/Tomahawk, the LD++, the Darkvoice (still would like to hear input on that amp, btw), the BitHead, because I can actually buy them! (either through eBay or through the manufacturer) But I don't want to just buy an amp because it's available...I want to buy an amp that will work well with my K701

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back