good practice inserting/removing headphones in/from amps?
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

helloh3adfi

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering what's the safest way to remove my IEMs from dongles or desktop amps? Of course I stop the music first and then? Just remove the plug or shut off the amp first?

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 7
There shouldn't be any issue. But in principle, a confident and rapid(not violent!!!!) plugging, unplugging is better to avoid staying stuck in between places and cause some short circuit to last more than the usual and expected fraction of a second. In any case, no incoming signal or turning down the volume looks like an intuitive good idea.
The amp turned off is the ultimate security. No signal, no problem.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 7
There shouldn't be any issue. But in principle, a confident and rapid(not violent!!!!) plugging, unplugging is better to avoid staying stuck in between places and cause some short circuit to last more than the usual and expected fraction of a second. In any case, no incoming signal or turning down the volume looks like an intuitive good idea.
The amp turned off is the ultimate security. No signal, no problem.
Good post. However, a contrary thought just occurred to me in reading it.

Assuming one ALWAYS turns the amp off first, maybe it would be better to then use a soft and gradual plugging and unplugging, to reduce the wear and tear on what are always very small connectors with regard to IEMs and dongles.

Aug 10, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Assuming one ALWAYS turns the amp off first, maybe it would be better to then use a soft and gradual plugging and unplugging, to reduce the wear and tear on what are always very small connectors with regard to IEMs and dongles.
I would say that if plug wear and tear is a concern, then an interconnect can help reduce wear and tear at least on the amp’s end.

Keep that plugged into the amp and wear the interconnect’s opening down instead. Replacing interconnects is a lesser waste in the longer run.

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 7
Good post. However, a contrary thought just occurred to me in reading it.

Ah yes, once there is no current, slow pull becomes the better choice I guess. I didn’t even consider that. :sweat_smile:
I tried to imagine what a serious person would do, as I’m a barbarian when it comes to plugs and cables. All my DAPs have taken plenty of flying and free fall lessons, catapulted by an IEM cable with the use of my arm or a door handle while trying to do everything too fast). And I’ve dragged most amps and ADC while forgetting the headphone was on my head, or that cables exist). I destroy cables faster than the average human, is what I’m saying.
My solution so far has been to practice soldering so I can change cables and swap plugs at low cost when the need inevitably arrives...
It’s a peculiar moment when I hate myself for breaking something again like a moron, but I’m also proud after having repaired it. A proud moron moment, I guess.

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 7
When I'm wearing IEMs inserted to a dongle, for example Cayin RU7. The music is paused, then I pull out the USB plug and hear a plop sound from the IEMs. When I just pull out the IEM cable instead, I don't hear a plop sound at all. No idea what's really better in the end. :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back