Good Portable Amp for Ety ER-4P
Apr 26, 2007 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jamvanman

Head-Fier
I have an old Xin SuperDual which I like, but one channel keeps cutting out and I'm thinking of upgrading. I've read a lot of good things about the Xin SuperMicro-IV for the ER-4S but I wonder whether the SuperMini is perhaps better suited to the ER-4Ps? What would be a nicely portable good amp to go with ER-4Ps in the $200 - $350 price range? I must say I am very attracted to the almost unbelievable compactness of the SuperMicro-IV. But then it doesn't have the high impedance switch, which my SD has, to turn the 4P into the 4S. Any thoughts much appreciated (as I am in Australia the postal charges make it quite expensive to try out different amps).

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 17
If getting an P > S adapter is a major issue to you, get the new SuperMini-IV. It is beyond doubt that Xin made the best amp for Etys. Now that all three of his SuperMs are equally good sounding effective 04/11, do not hesitate to get one. I have tried a few amps and none can actually synergize with ER-4 as liquid as the SuperMs. Another option will be SR-71 or Headamp AE-2, but those are over $350 not including shipping charges to Au.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 17
Well, you're in luck right now. I've had Xin Supermini(s), and received my new Supermacro LE about 10 days ago. His Supermicro has been particularly outstanding, but he'd been having some trouble in getting his other models to reachi the same exemplary level - that is until 4/11, when he discovered the answers to solving their issues. My Supermacro LE made 4/12 is proof he has been successful. He also stated at that time that success was also reached with the Supermini (so I'll be sending mine in for the latest tweaks)...........there is not anything on the market even close to what you find with these amps today. I'm extremely enthusiastic about my Supermacro LE, even though I haven't completed its' burn-in. Usually, I don't bother listening to equipment until I suspect their burn-in time is nearing completion. I found this Supermacro LE exciting right out of the box. That is why the burn-in is taking soo long - I'm using it, therefore , it isn't just sitting and running to accumulate time. FWIW - I ordered AD8656 and 8616 in mine, rather than the default.........so, not absolutely positive what his defaults are right now. You might guess correctly, that my feelings are that the Supermacro LE and also the Supermini IV are the most useful forms. My most usual dap is a Nano, and use Ety er-4 and have some fun with Darthbeyers and the LE at times.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you just use a P to S adapter?

I quite like not having to worry about the extra cable, but yes that might be a good option. Pity you're not shipping to Australia!

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I've had Xin Supermini(s), and received my new Supermacro LE about 10 days ago. ...

Thanks for this, can I ask why you went for the Supermacro - was it the switches for bass boost, crossfeed etc ?

James

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 17
Yes, I like to use crossfeed. Your right about the switches. I've already been a Supermini convert, but have/had a few more ideas. Usually, I use the Ety's - but there are times when I may want to use something else - and jumpers are a pain when you want to change settings. Another reason was for gaming in another location than where my full-sized amps are situated. So the Supermacro LE becomes a dual-use amp for me. It has more power than the Supermini and so far can handle the deep bass my Darths throw at it. So, while walking around I prefer the Supermini/Nano in my shirt pocket, I now also enjoy ease of versatility of the LE model.......hence, two Xin's for me now.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 17
Nice set-up! I love my Ety's and really only want my amp for when I'm out so its sounding like the Supermicro with the P/S cable or the Supermini. Probably leaning towards the Supermini at this stage, because I also like crossfeed. Then its just the long wait, still sounds like its worth waiting for.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 17
Frankly, I wouldn't like bothering with the cable and have never understood the desirability of the micro (unless one walks around saying - look at my tiny amp). To me, it makes a less than neat, pocketable package alongside a Nano. Maybe with a Mpio or some other daps it makes more sense. To illustrate Supermini/Nano pairing:
IMG_0101.jpg

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Frankly, I wouldn't like bothering with the cable and have never understood the desirability of the micro (unless one walks around saying - look at my tiny amp). To me, it makes a less than neat, pocketable package alongside a Nano. Maybe with a Mpio or some other daps it makes more sense. To illustrate Supermini/Nano pairing:
IMG_0101.jpg

Actually I purchased SuperMicro-IV not because of the tiny size. During the time when I placed my order in Dec 2006, SuperMicro-IV was the superior ones. My original intent was a SuperMini because I loved the low profile rugged body and the extra features. Now that they are all equal SQ wise, I would surely go for SuperMini anytime

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Well, you're in luck right now. I've had Xin Supermini(s), and received my new Supermacro LE about 10 days ago. His Supermicro has been particularly outstanding, but he'd been having some trouble in getting his other models to reachi the same exemplary level - that is until 4/11, when he discovered the answers to solving their issues. My Supermacro LE made 4/12 is proof he has been successful. He also stated at that time that success was also reached with the Supermini (so I'll be sending mine in for the latest tweaks)...........there is not anything on the market even close to what you find with these amps today. I'm extremely enthusiastic about my Supermacro LE, even though I haven't completed its' burn-in. Usually, I don't bother listening to equipment until I suspect their burn-in time is nearing completion. I found this Supermacro LE exciting right out of the box. That is why the burn-in is taking soo long - I'm using it, therefore , it isn't just sitting and running to accumulate time. FWIW - I ordered AD8656 and 8616 in mine, rather than the default.........so, not absolutely positive what his defaults are right now. You might guess correctly, that my feelings are that the Supermacro LE and also the Supermini IV are the most useful forms. My most usual dap is a Nano, and use Ety er-4 and have some fun with Darthbeyers and the LE at times.

Did you ask him about sending it in? Its on the Xin forums that we should wait until he releases more details the new upgrade and about sending it in.

or are you a rebel?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 17
Alot of people say that the Ety ER4 and the Emmeline SR-71 sound really well together and I would have to agree.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If getting an P > S adapter is a major issue to you, get the new SuperMini-IV. It is beyond doubt that Xin made the best amp for Etys. Now that all three of his SuperMs are equally good sounding effective 04/11, do not hesitate to get one. I have tried a few amps and none can actually synergize with ER-4 as liquid as the SuperMs. Another option will be SR-71 or Headamp AE-2, but those are over $350 not including shipping charges to Au.

X2, the only other amps I might ad to the list would be the new TTVJ Millet Hybrid Portable Amp or the LaRocco PRII MkII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back