Good Place to buy Koss KSC35?
Jan 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Evarin

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend a source for these headphones that is lower than on the Koss website itself? It is odd that they don't even show up on google shopping, let alone most other major search engines.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 10
Why don't you buy the KSC75 instead? The KSC75 sounds much better, and the metal earhook on the KSC75 is more comfortable than the KSC35 plastic hooks.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 10
Hmm. The product that cost half as much from the same company sounds clearly better? That seems hard to believe. I'll have to go through a few reviews and see what the general consensus is at the moment. I'm still looking for a good source for the KSC35's, but I will check out the other pair as well.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Hmm. The product that cost half as much from the same company sounds clearly better? That seems hard to believe. I'll have to go through a few reviews and see what the general consensus is at the moment. I'm still looking for a good source for the KSC35's, but I will check out the other pair as well.

Not hard to believe at all. The KSC35 was discontinued many years ago. Even the KSC50 which came after the KSC35 was discontinued years ago. The reason the KSC35 was discontinued was that the plastic earhooks were uncomfortable. The KSC50 has the same drivers as the KSC35, however it has metal earhooks. For the KSC75 they switched from the spring loaded metal earhooks of the the KSC50 to a simpler design with no spring on the KSC75, and switched to a titanium driver similar(or the same?) as the one on the KTXpro1. The sound on the KSC75 has a brighter balance than the KSC35 and better highs, but less bass than the KSC35, however the bass is much better controlled on the KSC75. I always preferred the titanium driver on the KTXpro1 and KSC75 to the driver on the Portapro/Sportapro/KSC35/KSC50. I have all of these except the KTXpro1, which I gave away years ago.

When an item is discontinued and in short supply, the price sometimes gets very high. It doesn't mean it is worth it, or that the product is better than current lower priced models. Rarely is this the case. The original price on the KSC35 was quite low. I remember buying some of them for under $10.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for that explanation. I've talked a few other people and they all seem to be stating the same thing. I guess it is off to Walmart for me to pick up the KSC75. These are what i've been using ATM. I do wonder what the actual manufacturer of them are, as they don't sound half bad.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 10
The JVC HAS160 headphone sounds quite nice. Some retailers sell it for around $10, however Walmart has a very high price on it.
Their high price seems strange, as most of their prices are quite low.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 10
If you have an "FYE" you can get the KSC75 there as "Sport clips", i did buy the Flats recently ^ and for now have to say the 75 are superior. I wanted to try the 35 just for kicks but what i understood is they are the same non-titanium driver of the portapro/sportapro/Mac 5 which is bassier and not as good to me as the 75.

You should get the KTX1 to look like a dork walking around
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 10
Do you have the new HAS160 Flats, or the older HAS150? I like the HAS160 much better than the KSC75.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Thanks for that explanation. I've talked a few other people and they all seem to be stating the same thing. I guess it is off to Walmart for me to pick up the KSC75. These are what i've been using ATM. I do wonder what the actual manufacturer of them are, as they don't sound half bad.

Japanese Hori makes the best third party peripherals for Nintendo game consoles. I tried to expand the image you provided and the file name (or link name) says those are indeed Horis. (and it looks like they really are http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Officially-Licensed-Headphones-Nintendo/dp/B00171NQ7U)(Hori peripherals are usually bought online from exporters such as Play-Asia, where have you bought them?)

I have no idea about their headphones, maybe they just made the "Nintendo DS" licensed printing on them and the real manufacturer will remain unknown, maybe they bought drivers and made shells for them, that would be the most probable of the two. Hori makes the best screen protectors for Nintendo DS, they are very reputed.

Judging by that "Nintendo DS" tag I would tend to call these bad, but certainly not before trying them out. I have Nintendo DS universal IEMs that came free in an official Nintendo accessory package but they suck, and so still sucks the earbuds that came free with my Game Boy in 1994 or 1995...

Hehe :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back