Aug 2, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Well, someone should pitch in for Los Angeles. If you're in the area, go here:

Hank's Pizza
442 W. Manchester Avenue
Playa del Rey, CA 90293
310-823-9647

I've been picking up from there for several years now. Some of the best I've ever had. Everyone who's had it loves Hank's.

Haven’t tried Hanks, but based on your recommendation it looks like something I should. If it ain't good I hold you responsible.
tongue.gif

My wife and I really like Abbots Pizza Company in Venice. Tasty pies.

We either get Cheese, Gypsy Pie, or Pepperoni.
http://www.abbotspizzacompany.com/

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #32 of 47
I'll stick up for Giordano's as well, although my all time favorite stuffed pizza was from Bacino's (I think now down to only one restaurant - in Chicago). There's a place in Naperville called Giuseppe's which has a really good Chicago-style thin crust, though they're a bit pricey. Lou Malnati's isn't bad either, though I don't like their sausage much (it's a slab of sausage half an inch thick over the entire pizza).

For frozen, I like DiGiorno better than Freschetta (which has too much crust for my liking) and the previously mentioned Palermo's super thin crust.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #33 of 47
My favorite frozen pizza is the Home Run Inn deep dish, sometimes labeled "Peirros". They are around $8 each in the stores, and kick Pizza Hut/Domino/Papa John's arse
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #34 of 47
I don't think I've ever had a really tasty piece of pizza. Pizza Hut / Papa Johns / Dominos are about as appealing as crappy chinese food ::bleh::. Ledo's is hit or miss, but sometimes their buffalo chicken pizza is really tasty. Other Italian joints in the area like Serafino's and Solano's are pretty decent, but if I'm gonna go there I'd rather have a nice calzone or a plate of spaghetti. I'll have to drive up to NY and get some good tasting pizza.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've never met a good tasting frozen pie. :p

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
I'm a New Yorker, too, so living in Houston is pizza hell. The best place I've found is Brothers Pizza... they're run by NYers. Frozen, though? I'd say Tony's Original Crust.

I'm in Houston, and while the chains are the most prevalent, there are a few gems.

http://www.collinas.com/

Collinas is the best I've had (stick to the pizza and salads, their pasta is nothing special). The best part is, theres one 3-4 blocks from my house.

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #36 of 47
Thanks, I'll look into them.

Quote:

Can you get this Tony's Original Crust at the jewel?

Assuming the jewel is a grocery store, then yes, you can. In Houston, at least...

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
The best pizza is in new york city.

I had an outstanding lasagna pizza earlier this week. Gotta go back for more when the heat dies down.

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
The best pizza is in new york city.

quoted for truth.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Deep dish isn't pizza... it's cooked bruschetta. I'll take a NY slice any day.

You know, I never thought of it that way. I would have to agree - from the tomatoes, to the crust and the design - yeah, it's a bruschetta.

Great point. Thanks! Explains the differences.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
I don't think I've ever had a really tasty piece of pizza. Pizza Hut / Papa Johns / Dominos are about as appealing as crappy chinese food ::bleh::.

You have to order your pies well done, especially at Pizza Hut. When you do at Pizza Hut the crust turns out like a Focaccia (much better) - when you don't, it turns out excessively chewy because the center is undercooked (look the next time you order one not well done).

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #41 of 47
I just had two slices at this place called Pizza Boy near my house and they were pure awesomeness. Everything was perfect. NY pizza and Chinese food are better than in other states by a long shot. I remember ordering Chinese food in NJ and it was god awful (at least in comparison)

Of course there are some places that suck here too, but at least I know now to avoid them

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #43 of 47
The best pizza that I have ever had, bar none, was in a small restaurant in Sienna, Italy.

I love frozen pizza, and it was a staple of my diet for many years. But I have gotten to the age (and cholesterol level) where I can no longer consume *that* much fat in one sitting.
frown.gif

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #44 of 47
I used to make a killer pizza, untill I started drinking while doing it. By the time the dough had risen I had forgotten about it and was ready for something else. Now I get my pizzas from Au Natural in Miami Beach.

Aug 6, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
I'm a New Yorker, too, so living in Houston is pizza hell.

Oh, Houston is NOT pizza hell--you need to get out more to really find that--small towns in Georiga or the midwest, where they all think Pizza Hut is the crowning achievement in pizza. Yikes. That's pizza hell.

Now, I'll grant that Houston isn't exactly pizza heaven, either, but Star Pizza is quite good--ask any of the kids at Rice who grew up in NYC. "Not home, but close enough."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back