Good PC speakers with lots of low end?
Jul 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GrubFlyer

New Head-Fier
    This is my first post, and I would like some advice from you guys! I have been lurking for a long time since I got into this whole headphone craze (
basshead.gif
) I got my first job and I'm looking to buy a PC speaker system... My 4 year old creative system is really showing its age. At low frequency the subwoofer makes some pretty alarming noises (lol). I really like the thump of bass so I want a very tight low end. I listen to Hip hop and electronic so low end is critical to me.  

I'm looking at the sony 2.1 personal audio system (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-2-1-Personal-Speakers-Black/dp/B001QXDSMM), but I would like to know if anyone else has any better setups. Like I said, I'm looking for some room-vibrating bass, I am a self proclaimed basshead! My XB-700's hurt my head after a while and my XB-300's (which are more comfortable) dont give me the sound quality I would like, so I started listening to music from my system, and would now like to invest in something better. My budget is staying right about 150$. 

Thanks guys! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 20
Logitech Z2300.

It looks like your'e going for PC speakers anyways. The Logitech Z2300 apparently is a Class A/B amp speaker system according to this guy who took his apart and pretty much reverse engineered everything.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 20
I have seen that set of speakers, and it is very nice. But its more than twice my budget lol. I am looking for computer speakers (If i didnt make that clear). I also do alot of gaming. Anyone have any other suggestions, or info on the sony setup?

thanks

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 20
Look at the Harman/Kardon Soundsticks II or III. I had the II version for several years and really enjoyed them. The bass is adjustable and powerful, while still being tight. My old roommate had some Logitech Z-series and mine always blew his out of the water

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
    This is my first post, and I would like some advice from you guys! I have been lurking for a long time since I got into this whole headphone craze (
basshead.gif
) I got my first job and I'm looking to buy a PC speaker system... My 4 year old creative system is really showing its age. At low frequency the subwoofer makes some pretty alarming noises (lol). I really like the thump of bass so I want a very tight low end. I listen to Hip hop and electronic so low end is critical to me.  

Try something in the Altec Lansing Expressionist range. Not the most accurate speakers in the world, but most have a lot of bass for the money. You could also try something like a used Logitech Z-5500 set on eBay, the 10" sub with that system is surprisingly powerful, and unlike the Klipsch sets, the Z-5500 is not a piece of junk that will fall apart in a year. I've had mine for a long time, absolutely no issues.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 20
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 here, hooked up through my Xonar STX. For the price, it's a pretty good setup, with plenty of bass if you are so inclined :wink:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+ProMedia+2.1+Speaker+System+%283-Piece%29+-+Black/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232&st=klipsch%20promedia&cp=1&lp=1

Best Buy usually has them on sale, but $150 brand new isn't terribly expensive for this system

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 here, hooked up through my Xonar STX. For the price, it's a pretty good setup, with plenty of bass if you are so inclined :wink:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+ProMedia+2.1+Speaker+System+%283-Piece%29+-+Black/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232&st=klipsch%20promedia&cp=1&lp=1

Best Buy usually has them on sale, but $150 brand new isn't terribly expensive for this system

+1

Just bought this same setup (ST not STX though) for $280 out the door. Both were open box items, and were in perfect condition when I took them out of the box. I was looking for lots of bass, and this setup delivered.

This marked my entry into quality audio gear, as my previous setup was onboard + some ancient logitech 5.1.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 20
1+ buy these they compare favorably to the Z2300... btw I cant believe the Z2300 are so expensive now I could sell them used and make a profit to what I paid new like 5 years ago.

Quote:

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #10 of 20
Don't buy a new set of Z2300's. They're obviously more expensive.

Go for used.
Here in Canada, I can get a set of Z2300's for $120 CAD.
Not sure about anywhere else, but that gives you an idea.

I personally favour the Z2300 due to it's sub enclosure design and it boasting a 8" sub.

The enclosure makes a big difference in the bass.

So having that said, I can tell you that the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's sub will not be as loud and punchy as the Z2300. 

I own the Z680, and a Z5450. The Z680 has a 8" sub, and a brother to the Z5500. The Z5450 is a single ported, with a 6.5" driver inside. 
I can tell you with hands on experience that the enclosure of the Z5450 gives very clean bass.
However, it doesn't compare to the Z680 when it comes to the deep low ends as well as when you turn it up.

Being the big enclosure of the Z2300 has, I favour that system over any other system that has any lower than a 8" sub and an enclosure as big as it.

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 20
If those Klipsch Promedia sets are anything like the old (presumably discontinued) 4.1 and 5.1 sets, the lifespan is effectively 1 - 2 years. The volume pot is a piece of trash, and starts crackling/distorting and loses L/R tracking almost immediately. The quality of the amp is also a joke. Buyer beware.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 20
The logitech sets are good for bassheads on a budget, I have the z2300 but in terms of sound quality it's awful, the sub is too boomy and muddy as it has to deal with all the way up to 200hz and if played loud overheats, the satilites lack midrange sound a bit tinny and harsh at times but are quite clear, i'd recommend the edifier sets they still have large bassy subs but have proper decent sounding small bookshelf speakers and much cleaner sounding bass , the s730 (10" sub) , s530 (8" sub) , s330(6.5" sub) , c3( 8" sub) , M3300SF (6.5" sub) i'd recommend any of them.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
If those Klipsch Promedia sets are anything like the old (presumably discontinued) 4.1 and 5.1 sets, the lifespan is effectively 1 - 2 years. The volume pot is a piece of trash, and starts crackling/distorting and loses L/R tracking almost immediately. The quality of the amp is also a joke. Buyer beware.

I've had great luck with my Promedia's and strongly recommend them to anyone looking in the price range.

My 2.1's have at least a few thousand hours on them, and I bought them as a refurb set. Yes, the volume pot is a little crap, I just adjust the volume on the computer. I'm finally looking to upgrade, as I'm now working at home in front of these speakers 10+ hours a day.

The 4.1's were discontinued long ago, the 5.1's too. My 4.1 set was delivered in 1999 or 2000. These have been my home theatre speakers for nearly the entire time and also have several thousand hours on them, including some noise-complaint inducing parties. 11 years later: one of the rear channels finally gave out this past winter, but the other 3 channels and sub are still going strong. (It's time to upgrade the home theatre speakers to match the new TV anyways)

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 20
Why not bookshelf speakers with a compact amp?

My rule of thumb is to avoid any and all speakers with plastic cabinets.

Plastic might work if you have floorstanders with 3/4" walls, but little injection-molded boxes are quite different.

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
The logitech sets are good for bassheads on a budget, I have the z2300 but in terms of sound quality it's awful, the sub is too boomy and muddy as it has to deal with all the way up to 200hz and if played loud overheats, the satilites lack midrange sound a bit tinny and harsh at times but are quite clear, i'd recommend the edifier sets they still have large bassy subs but have proper decent sounding small bookshelf speakers and much cleaner sounding bass , the s730 (10" sub) , s530 (8" sub) , s330(6.5" sub) , c3( 8" sub) , M3300SF (6.5" sub) i'd recommend any of them.

Well the OP IS looking for a computer 2.1 system. 

It really depends on the user's definition of a "boomy and muddy" subwoofer.

For a PC speaker setup, the OP wants room vibrating bass. Currently my Z680 doesn't shake only but my room, but also the entire house. It's shaken the front porch door before.
As a Logitech system, I'm pretty sure you would find the Z680 sub to be boomy and muddy as well.

I'm just trying to elaborate here that I personally don't think the OP cares about the quality of the bass so much, as long as it'll shake the walls, it'll be a good candidate. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back