"Good" PC speakers for 100-150$ budget
Apr 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Thisapear

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been looking around on the forum for a while looking on what I should buy. But everyone has different needs, so maybe what someone is looking for doesn't apply for me.

So I have really cheap speakers on my computer, and I always watch movies with friends at my computer.

So basicly, I need good speakers (for the budget) for my PC for movies. I listen to music on my headphones, so speakers are used only for movies.

My budget is at around 100-150$. Can adjust budget if the upgrade is huge for few dollars though.

And also, I have been looking around for where to buy speakers, but I'm not sure where I could find the best deals. Do you guys have specific websites to buy speakers? Or you buy them directly to the company?

Thanks a lot !

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 22
this ? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Computer-and-Ipod-Speaker-System-Powered-Subwoofer-Black-/231177848311?pt=US_Computer_Speakers&hash=item35d34605f7&_uhb=1

I want to buy it on ebay, because it looks a lot expensive. But is the link the speakers you are talking about?

Do I need a soundcard on my computer to plug the speakers or something?

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 22
Iv'e look around. So far I have these choices, which one should I get.
With best prices with shipping included and taxes, approximely (for canada)

1) Swan M10 (157$)
2)  Promedia 2.1 (150$)
3) M-audio AV40 (180$)

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #11 of 22
Based on my experience, I would also go with the ProMedia. The Swan's have been reported to have feedback issues in some cases, and the AV40 is not only out of your price range, but it won't compare with the ProMedia's bass extension.

To answer your other question, no, you do not need to run a dedicated sound card. Simply plug the 1/8" stereo input line from the Pro-Media into your motherboard's audio-out and you'll be off and running. Good luck!

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 22
  this ? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Computer-and-Ipod-Speaker-System-Powered-Subwoofer-Black-/231177848311?pt=US_Computer_Speakers&hash=item35d34605f7&_uhb=1

I want to buy it on ebay, because it looks a lot expensive. But is the link the speakers you are talking about?

Yes, this appears to be the correct model, but I would personally advise against buying used audio equipment on ebay . . . particularly equipment that was obviously not well cared for.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #15 of 22
Hi, new user here with similar needs to yourself, I hope you don't mind me hijacking your post to ask for advice.

I currently have a Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround System and I'm looking to replace it with a 2.0/2.1 solution. I'm from the UK and my budget is £100-£150. The source for the audio will be my PCs on-board sound, therefore I will need powered/active speakers, right? Unless I get an AMP/DAC (not quite sure of the difference), which is something I'm willing to consider. I will use the speakers for listening to music and watching movies and TV shows, I favour clearer vocals and instrumentals over heavy bass sounds.

The overwhelming response so far to the original question in this post has been recommendations for Klipsch ProMedia's, however in all honesty I don't like the look of them at all and want something with a much simpler design, similar to AudioEngines A2+ speaker. Could you please recommend something that looks similar to them, with decent sound quality that's within my price range?

Thanks.

edit: How about these M-Audio Av40 speakers? Priced at £95 on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-Studiophile-Av40-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B000RPT0UE/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1398276092&sr=1-2&keywords=M-Audio+AV+40)

edit 2: I've also found these Audioengine 2 (A2?) speakers. Priced at £165 on Amazon. In terms of design, they're perfect and exactly what I'm looking for but I'm unsure whether the additional £70 will be justified. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioengine-multimedia-speakers-Total-2-way/dp/B000VKEFN2)

M-Audio's BX5 D2 range looks like it might be perfect, you can pick a pair of them up for around £140 on eBay, would anyone recommend these?

edit 3: Sorry to the mods that have to keep reviewing my edits.

I've also found these Fostex PM0.3 speakers, priced at £89.99, however there are hardly any reviews for them online.

What do you think of the speakers I've listed above? Hopefully that should kind of give you an idea of what I'm looking for, Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back