good pair of low mid-price range canalphones
May 24, 2007 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

gregjp48

Head-Fier
I was looking for a pair of canal phones for around 100 dollars, maybe a bit more.

I was looking at etymotic's ER6i's, shure e2c, ultimate ears super.fi 3, vmoda-vibes, etc.

So I need something I can listen to with my ipod, that produces decently accurate sound. I like bass, but not too much and not muddy. I listen to a lot of different types of music, from jazz to classic rock and alternative, along with acoustic rock and rock-opera such as meatloaf. I also listen to poppy stuff such as Queen to more bristish style like the cure.

I've read the vibes are very comfortable, but have too much bass. I like acoustic rock, so i need good mid ranges and highs, as well as the bass, so I don't know if the vibes would be a good option.

I like the looks of the ultimate ears but I've read a lot of reviews that say that they don't have good bass. Is this true, or are they not getting a good seal? I could spend more for a super.fi 5, but I'm on a tight budget, so I wouldnt' mind avoiding that. Also, are they cumbersome because of how far they stick out of your ears, and is it difficult to get a good seal with them, because they don't go as far into the ear canal?

How are the e2cs? A lot of editors over at ilounge like them, but headroom doesn't seem to like them as much, favoring the super.fi 3's. And apparently they stick farther into the ear canal, so the "inside your head" effect is pronounced, and can be fatiguing to listen to? How's the sound compared to the ultimate ears and the etymotics?

I've read the Etymotics are excellent, but are the triple-flanges any different? How do the ER6i's compare to the other phones I listed?

would i be better off with an in-ear earbud instead? I want good sound, and I find the bigheadphones slightly cumbersome for portrable use, and I don't want open backs as they don't provide good isolation and ambient noise blocking/ other people hear the music. The only thing is I'll be walking in the city and crossing streets and things with the headphones on. Is this a good idea? Should I just go for a pair of Sennheiser px100's?

Thanks so much, and if anyone has any other recommendations, please don't hesitate to recommend.

EDIT: Just to add, I encode my music with LAME at vbr new usually on V1 with -h

May 25, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 30
er-6i's don't have much bass capability at all, even with eq. At least mine don't.

May 25, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
er-6i's don't have much bass capability at all, even with eq. At least mine don't.

u have a good seal and everything?
I read they aren't very comfortable. is this true?

May 25, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 30
+1

er6i
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 30
yes, excellent seal.

Comfort is a relative thing.

May 25, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 30
i've pretty much narrowed it down to the etymotics and and the shure e2cs, but i've added another contender: the Westone UM1's which are supposedly as sonically good as the etymotics (although less detailed and moresmooth, with a bit added to the lows), but with better comfort. I'll keep researching, but so far it seems i'll be going with the etymotics, though the others are close as well.

May 25, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 30
i vote for the um1's, they are my first official iem and they are great. problems i had with the jvc fx55 were durabilty issues where the material of the wire would just disintegrate and rip.
the um1 on the otherhand, are built very well and they sound warm and enjoyable, they do vocals very nicely. Highs are missing and bass could be tighter.

May 26, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 30
so apparently the etys aren't good for the types of music i listen to?
this is kind of annoying (shopping for earphones for a first time buyer) because of all of the mixed reviews. And it's hard to go by user reviews because you can never be sure if the people are putting in it right and getting a good seal and bass response etc.
Plus the sound depends a lot on the tip i've been reading, so some of these reviews about bad bass may be because of that?

May 26, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 30
i think i'll be going with a pair of shures.
soley because the etymotic's filters are not reusable, and i'm on a tight budget (plus the e2cs cost less to begin with). Do the um1's come with a cleaning tool like the e_c's?
I'm not 100% sure about the shures yet (hah no pun intended), but I'm pretty sure they'll be what I'm getting, unless the highs are truly too muddled, then it's back to square one. and I still can't discern if either has ample bass.
and i'm worried about the size of the e2cs. iLounge says they're large and a bit harder to fit than other canalphones, and I think i may have canals on teh small side (I'm a teenager).
On another note, do I need a headphone amp, or can I get away with not getting one?

May 26, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 30
I'm surprised noone has recommended the ATH-CK7 to the OP yet. It's like an Ety with a proper bass response. They're also far superior to the Westone UM1 which I also own and never use anymore because of the CK7s. The CK7 has superior detail, far superior bass and treble extension, bass impact from their dynamic drivers murders the feeble balanced armatures in the UM1, much better PRaT, better build quality. Only thing I can see the UM1 doing better is comfort and isolation. They also blow away my friends e2cs, he's gonna get some CK7s when his e2c breaks. I dunno about those new Shures though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back