good pair of low mid-price range canalphones
May 26, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised noone has recommended the ATH-CK7 to the OP yet. It's like an Ety with a proper bass response. They're also far superior to the Westone UM1 which I also own and never use anymore because of the CK7s. The CK7 has superior detail, far superior bass and treble extension, bass impact from their dynamic drivers murders the feeble balanced armatures in the UM1, much better PRaT, better build quality. Only thing I can see the UM1 doing better is comfort and isolation. They also blow away my friends e2cs, he's gonna get some CK7s when his e2c breaks. I dunno about those new Shures though...

Those are more of an in-ear bud style, I think I'm looking for a more full-blown canalphone.

I will keep those in mind for consideration though, as they look like theyhave good sound, but I have ear canals on the smaller side, so the 11" drivers may not be comfortable.

May 26, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregjp48 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are more of an in-ear bud style, I think I'm looking for a more full-blown canalphone.

I will keep those in mind for consideration though, as they look like theyhave good sound, but I have ear canals on the smaller side, so the 11" drivers may not be comfortable.

The driver doesn't go into your ear(like with the E2c), it stays outside while the tip goes into the ear canal. It comes with small, medium, and large tips, so I doubt ear anatomy is much of an issue.

You should also look into those new canalphones MylarOne X3 from Crossroads, they're supposed to kick major ass at a very attractive price. I'm definitely getting a pair to try out soon.

May 26, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The driver doesn't go into your ear(like with the E2c), it stays outside while the tip goes into the ear canal. It comes with small, medium, and large tips, so I doubt ear anatomy is much of an issue.

You should also look into those new canalphones MylarOne X3 from Crossroads, they're supposed to kick major ass at a very attractive price. I'm definitely getting a pair to try out soon.

I'll check out the mylarOne x3s, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

But I'm not sure I'll be swayed from the e2cs at this point.

May 26, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 30
i've read they have bad problems with quality control, and they're not a very well known company
could be a gem, but I think I'd rather stay where i'm sure i can get it at a lot of reputable dealers (good returns), and good warranty, etc.

May 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregjp48 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll check out the mylarOne x3s, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

But I'm not sure I'll be swayed from the e2cs at this point.

I have owned the E2C's and I have the MylarOne X3's and I have tried out a lot of the others. The E2C's have WAY better isolation, so if that's what you're looking for then go with the E2C's. I prefer the sound of the X3's by far though. The E2C's need a lot of bass EQing and still it doesn't help, but if you don't listen to bass heavy music, the E2C's are a GREAT way to go. The UM1's IMO are too muddy and same with the super.fi's. I would go with the X3's if I were you, but if you are looking for isolation, the Shure's are the way to go.

May 26, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 30
i want decent isolation, yes.
and what's your idea of bass heavy? Electronica? I basically listen to rock, jazz guitar, acoustic, and Queen (don't know exactly how to classify them)

May 26, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 30
I posted a new thread, and I guess ishould've just posted it here:
well here it is anyway:
Quote:

Well, my clip on Sony's finally bit the dust.
I listen to classic rock, alternative music including acoustic rock, Jack Johnson's In between dreams type acoustic, Meatloaf, Queen, and a lot of other rock ranging from soft rock to metal. I also listen to jazz guitar, and some piano (nothing classical, more Billy Joel-ish), but most of my music is Rock or rock-opera in genre.
I want decent bass, but not booming so that it overwhelms the rest of the spectrum, because I like a lot of different types of music. I'm not into electronica or hip-hop so bass doesn't need to be head-shaking, just present, without taking over the mids or highs.

I've been looking into IEMs, and really like the looks of the E2cs, and they're my 1st choice so far. Also looking at the westone um1s, v-moda vibes (too bassy?), Etymotic er-6is (but they don't seem good for rock music), the jays d-jays, and possibly even the super.fi 3s. that's about the range of my budget: $150 and under. I'm not sure if I want to buy JUST yet (I don't know if I want to take more time to decide). But the problem with that is that I currently have no headphones.

I have a few options:
A: Decide which earphones now, from a dealer with returns (which I will be doing anyway), and if I end up not liking them, send them back. I may also get a pair of Sennheiser PX100s or similar cans like Grados with this option.

B: Buy a less expensive pair of in ear buds like the sony mdr-ex81s, or the philips she9501, and buy the IEMs later on

C: Buy a pair of headphones like in option 1, which I will want anyway for use when sound isolation isn't appropriate, and buy the IEMs later.

So what option do you think is best (or if you have any other recommendations for my music)?

Thanks

May 27, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #26 of 30
Well, I have listened to the ER6is and I really loved the detail. The bass is detailed but is somewhat lacking compared to the Shures that I have. I liked them enough to go out and purchase a set of the ER-4Ps that have come down in price to the $150-175 range from the 300+ range. I have the Shure E500s and while these are not the E2c, I like the Shure sound. I found the Er6i to be very comfy and didn't have problems with fatigue. They do block out most noise so you find yourself doing that is someone talking to me look over your shoulder from time to time...I think that it is up to something like 40 decibles of noise cancellation...great for flights! I am not sure on the pricing but the Westone crew seems to be bery happy with their IEMs versus similar IEMs from Shure or Ety. Lots of good choices out there. The Ety's detail is pretty much just amazing. The Shure E2c's that you are looking at I think will be a good choice....maybe not the detail of the Etys but more of an overall good IEM for a primary. I haven't heard any of the others so I can't offer any guidance there.

-Happy hunting

May 27, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have listened to the ER6is and I really loved the detail. The bass is detailed but is somewhat lacking compared to the Shures that I have. I liked them enough to go out and purchase a set of the ER-4Ps that have come down in price to the $150-175 range from the 300+ range. I have the Shure E500s and while these are not the E2c, I like the Shure sound. I found the Er6i to be very comfy and didn't have problems with fatigue. They do block out most noise so you find yourself doing that is someone talking to me look over your shoulder from time to time...I think that it is up to something like 40 decibles of noise cancellation...great for flights! I am not sure on the pricing but the Westone crew seems to be bery happy with their IEMs versus similar IEMs from Shure or Ety. Lots of good choices out there. The Ety's detail is pretty much just amazing. The Shure E2c's that you are looking at I think will be a good choice....maybe not the detail of the Etys but more of an overall good IEM for a primary. I haven't heard any of the others so I can't offer any guidance there.

-Happy hunting

i didn't like the etys, just because of long term cost (buying replacement filters instead of cleaning reusable ones), and durability. A lot of people are complaining about loosing the sound in one ear etc. , and i can be hard on mh possessions at times.

I'm worried about the e2cs high ranges. Maybe I should go for the se210s?

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #30 of 30
X3's kick ass... I truly recommend you grab a pair from jaben.net

They're better than my vibes (and those are almost twice as much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back