Good over ear headphones for the e17
Dec 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jb1085

New Head-Fier
I just purchased a Fiio E17 amp and I'm looking to improve on my over-ear headphones. I listen to all types of music but I want these heaphones to shine when I play Michael Jackson, ZZ Top, Aretha Frankilin, Miles Davis, And Bob Segar to name a few. So far in my research I've seen good reviews on the AKG k702's, Seinheiser HD650's, and the HiFi Man HE-400's. Could somebody help me out with this dilemma?

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 10
I just bought a pair of BeyerDynamic DT770 Pros 250 Ohms to use with my E17. Great combo. A little weak on volume but I think that has to do with the 250 ohms of the DT770s. Sound quality is great though and the overall volume is definitely usable. It just doesnt get to that unbearable level where you need to turn it down. Maxing it out hits the top apex of my listening comfort perfectly. I may add the E09 Amp to increase the headroom.

I got the DT770s on eBay for $165 so the price was definitely right.

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I just bought a pair of BeyerDynamic DT770 Pros 250 Ohms to use with my E17. Great combo. A little weak on volume but I think that has to do with the 250 ohms of the DT770s. Sound quality is great though and the overall volume is definitely usable. It just doesnt get to that unbearable level where you need to turn it down. Maxing it out hits the top apex of my listening comfort perfectly. I may add the E09 Amp to increase the headroom.
I got the DT770s on eBay for $165 so the price was definitely right.

I saw a review on Amazon saying the DT770's blew the Seinheiser HD650's away! Also, what's the difference between the 80 and 250ohm headphones besides the obvious?

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Alot of reviews I read stated that the 250 ohm version sounded clearer with a more neutral soundstage. There are quite a few reviews on here of the DT770's including all the different ohm versions. Its amazing how the differences can be heard between them.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 10
Check this thread out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Its the end all be all for the difference in the BeyerDynamic headphones..Amazing stuff.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 10
I personally have the Q701's, and can definately say they rock with the E17! Even portable use with my Cowon is great, and it makes an even better combo when paired with my PC. Would recomend this, or you could go the cheap route and get the AKG MK 240 ii, discontinued, but still great if you can find em!

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I personally have the Q701's, and can definately say they rock with the E17! Even portable use with my Cowon is great, and it makes an even better combo when paired with my PC. Would recomend this, or you could go the cheap route and get the AKG MK 240 ii, discontinued, but still great if you can find em!

That's another question I have. Would it be worth it to get a Cowon over my iPod even if I have the E17?

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 10
That's another question I have. Would it be worth it to get a Cowon over my iPod even if I have the E17?
well to start I am a little biased because I dislike apple but I would say it is a good idea, but only if done the right way. I am buying a longer 3.5 to 3.5 cable, so I can leave my e17 on one seat and my cowon in my hand, because strapping then together with the touchscreen is annoying. I would say the sound quality is better from the cowon. But the album art has not been working well for some songs on my cpwpn, which is annoying. Organizing music into playlists was a challenge at first too, I used mp3tag to rename all my songs to their title (rename the file), and then I dragged the files into folders, and those folders are my playlists. But I would say if you are looking for an upgrade of
Purely sound quality, the cowon is great, especially with the EQ presets. I use mine on Rock and it works well, Techno works well for me too. But for another 250 for the z2, its prolly not worth the upgrade. Now, if it is a choice between iPod and cowon, the cowon would take the cake for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back