Good, non prolific artists
Jan 27, 2002 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rickfri

No longer lurking
Ever notice how:
some artists put out a CD every year or two with mostly good material (small minority)
some artists put out a CD every year or two with one or two good songs on it and the rest mostly crap (vast majority)
and
some artists only put out a CD every four of five years and every song is a small gem (call it professional integrity, good taste, whatever).
I'm tired of spending a lot of money and time wading through all the junk that's recorded and would like some opinions on this third category.
I know that there must be many artists that don't release a CD before it's ready out there that I've never heard of. Genre dosen't matter, I'll listen to anything if it's good.
Here are three artists that I think fit this category:
Jennifer Warnes
Lucinda Williams
Social Distortion

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 18
Dave's True Story.
"Sex without bodies" is a gem, from lyrics to music. And sound engineering is in my Top 10 for headphones (Out of about 700 CDs).

Jan 29, 2002 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 18
- tool
- metallica (until in recent years)
- fiona apple
- björk
- weezer
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks beowulf & slindeman. I just put in an order for my weekly fix of DVD/CD's from Amazon and included a CD from each group ("Blue Lines" & "Sex Without Bodies"). The plastic took quite a hit this week, a lot of good British TV coming out on DVD next week. I'll have to try some of the other titles next week, though I have quite a bit of Meallica, they've been around almost as long as I have.

Jan 29, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 18
Everyone is praising Opeth for its great albums in the darkest desires thread, now with over 200 replies.

It's progressive metal with some jazz like elements, and extreme vocals. Blackwater park feels like the best album of the five to me, so I'd recommend it. Forget your possible prejudice, get the album, and listen. You might get surprised.

Jan 29, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 18
The Blue Nile....3 great albums since 1984.

1984- A Walk Across The Rooftops
1989-Hats
1996 Peace At Last

Jan 29, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 18
i'd say a good candidate in the genre of indie/emo/alternative from seattle is Sunny Day Real Estate (RIP unfortunately). All albums are fantabulous, especially Diary. maybe "how it feels to be something on" isn't so hot, but lots of people like it. Diary is simply put, a masterpiece not just for indie/emo, but rock in general.

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
The Blue Nile....3 great albums since 1984.

1984- A Walk Across The Rooftops
1989-Hats
1996 Peace At Last

Beagle, I bet you and I are the only people here who actually own a Blue Nile album
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Beagle, I bet you and I are the only people here who actually own a Blue Nile album

Judging by the crap people here listen to, I'd say that's pretty safe bet
frown.gif

wink.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 18
Not quite the type of music mentioned so far, but... Sade?

I'm checking out some Opeth today, so far I like it. I'm listening to To Bid You Farewell right now... good stuff!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 18
Kevin Shields. His last album with band: My Bloody Valentine was in '91. He made contributions to Primal Scream's XTRMNTR album ( '00
smily_headphones1.gif
) which was a finalist for the Mercury Music Prize, I believe. The most prolific artist he's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back