Good Neutral(Preferably Closed) Headphones
Mar 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #46 of 52
What about the Ultrasone 680 it might be worth considering too. I haven't had the pleasure to try the K271 but I have the K400 and my guess is that they have somewhat similar soundsignatures, with a somewhat rolled off bass and I find that they are great for the rock I listen to. The bass is there and it can actually be overwhelming if there's a lot of bass on the recording, and it can be more in the background if that's how the recorsding is engineered.

BTW. Ultrasone 680 might be an option.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the 271 MKll they are great, especially if you like the 240DF.

Funny, I almost tried them, but got the dt250 80ohm instead, after I read so many reports of weak bass on the k271. Now all of a sudden I am reading that they have good bass
confused.gif
A long time reviewer in Sound on sound mag. compared the dt250/80ohm very favorably with his monitor speakers except in the very low bass, so I went with them. They are a nice sideways grade to the DF. They add some weight and punch to the sound that the DF was lacking. If and when I upgrade it will probably be k701/2!

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K. but take the k272 as well and compare. The dt250 does pop and rock bass very well IMO...don't know about hip hop and electronica since I rarely listen to them. Funny thing is that one forum member wrote that the dt250 80ohm version has TOO MUCH bass. I've never heard the k272 so you may very well be right about that one...I'm just passing along what so many have told me about them being too weak in the low end.

I've got an update for you: I borrowed some trance from a friend (Paul Oakenfeld: Tranceport), listened to a variety of bassy rap tunes, listened to a Dragonetti double bass concerto, some J.S. Bach organ music, and some J.S. Bach cello sonatas.

I compared the DT250-80's and my 271 MkII's head to head on my Headroom amp at home, trying to balance the volume as best I could between them, and I am going to have to say that I was wrong. The DT250 has more powerful bass, and if I were a bass heavy music listener I would pick those. I think the 271 is a bit warmer overall (esp. listening to Dragonetti and Bach I noticed this), and I'm pretty sure that's what was confusing my perception earlier.

But yeah, trance sounded better (read: bassier, more forward) on the DT250. So there ya go!

[size=xx-small]I also came to the conclusion that I won't be listening to much Paul Oakenfeld (or similar) in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseCanJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got an update for you: I borrowed some trance from a friend (Paul Oakenfeld: Tranceport), listened to a variety of bassy rap tunes, listened to a Dragonetti double bass concerto, some J.S. Bach organ music, and some J.S. Bach cello sonatas.

I compared the DT250-80's and my 272 MkII's head to head on my Headroom amp at home, trying to balance the volume as best I could between them, and I am going to have to say that I was wrong. The DT250 has more powerful bass, and if I were a bass heavy music listener I would pick those. I think the 272 is a bit warmer overall (esp. listening to Dragonetti and Bach I noticed this), and I'm pretty sure that's what was confusing my perception earlier.

But yeah, trance sounded better (read: bassier, more forward) on the DT250. So there ya go!

[size=xx-small]I also came to the conclusion that I won't be listening to much Paul Oakenfeld (or similar) in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Thanks for the clarification. I knew my ears couldn't be that mistaken about the 250's. I have the 80 ohm version as well, which is supposed to be the one which is a bit heavy on the low end...but it's not too far north of neutral, IMO. I once tried listening to some Kanye West hip hop with them and they did very well, if memory serves me well. They killed the k240DF which is somewhat lacking in the low end. The DF kills in most other areas, though.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #51 of 52
Thanks for the responses. Went with the Beyerdynamic DT48e 25 ohm. Audio and Music equipment is so darn expensive for good things.
evil_smiley.gif
Looking forward to their arrival. Can't wait to hear my DP and jazz recordings.
beyersmile.png

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke11235 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses. Went with the Beyerdynamic DT48e 25 ohm. Audio and Music equipment is so darn expensive for good things.
evil_smiley.gif
Looking forward to their arrival. Can't wait to hear my DP and jazz recordings.
beyersmile.png

Hope you like them. Just be prepared for having a 'What' type moment. that is normal for most first time listeners, myself included. They will sound like no other headphone you ever heard. Comparing them to other headphones is like apple and oranges. They are unconventional. It will take time for your ears and brain to adjust to the new stimuli. I'm not just saying this for the purpose of hype, many owners will agree with my assessment. This could be good or bad depending on your hearing and taste. My advice. Listen to this headphone for 4 days straight. Just this headphone, and play a varity of different genres. Resale value is very good. Please report your finding and post them in the huge thread.. And statements like, they rock!. They suck! Helps no potenional buyer who is considering the DT48. They truly are unique in the headphone world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back