Good metal without death vocals...
Dec 3, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #17 of 29
If you like female vocals and Nightwish, be sure to also have a listen to After Forever, especially their new album "Remagine".

Oh, and if you like DT, you'll almost certainly also like Vanden Plas. Try "Beyond Daylight".

Have to edit again. I don't see Dark Moor anywhere on the lists. They should be there too.

Dec 3, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #18 of 29
Ah now we are talking music. I happen to dislike most death growls, but find the opeth albums as a whole very enjoyable.

As far as bands go

Nightwish: already mentioned, but they are one of my favorite bands in the last two years.

Therion: Without a doubt of my favorite bands of all time. Epic symphonic metal and they seem to find a new sound with each album.

Anathema: Not really what I consider metal (more hard rock type), however they have some of the most organic well produced albums I have heard. Personal favorite being Judgement which blew me away the first time I heard it. (With the exception of the last few songs, honestly that album should have stopped after track 10)

Epica Newer band I have looked into. They might have some growls mixed in, but I can't recall. Very medieval epic and at some points soundtrack type music. Haven't listened to them enough lately to give a great opinion but I haven't deleted them and that says something
biggrin.gif

Rammstein Some might condsider them "industrial", but I don't (not after hearing my girlfriend "industrial"). After their first album they have really put alot of depth into their music and also change sounds a bit from album from album. A great stand by of mine.

System of a Down Had to include them :p. They are random, loud, and you can find people yelling lyrics, but they are too damn catchy and after seeing them live, I can't help but give them a plug.

Most of the bands above I don't consider "metal" but somewhere around the genre. I would list others however alot of stuff has already been listed or is a little too trash, death, or just plain wierd
biggrin.gif

Oh and if anyone is looking for medieval music crossed with a bit of metal and a good deal of folk, check out Blackmore's Night. Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple got together with Candice Night and have created some very original music
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
If you like female vocals and Nightwish, be sure to also have a listen to After Forever, especially their new album "Remagine".

I wholeheartedly agree about Remagine, its ****ing awesome! Except theres growls in it :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by AA8

Epica Newer band I have looked into. They might have some growls mixed in, but I can't recall. Very medieval epic and at some points soundtrack type music. Haven't listened to them enough lately to give a great opinion but I haven't deleted them and that says something
biggrin.gif

Oh and if anyone is looking for medieval music crossed with a bit of metal and a good deal of folk, check out Blackmore's Night. Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple got together with Candice Night and have created some very original music
biggrin.gif

Epica has growls & rasping, not so much on the newer album Consign to Oblivion as on The Phantom Agony, CtO might be a good starter if you dont really like growls but can handle them on only three tracks
biggrin.gif

and yeah Blackmore's Night aint metal, but theyre awesome!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #20 of 29
Blackmore has a live album under the name Blackmore's Kingdom that I had not seen available in the US. I happen to find it online for download, very much worth finding if you can locate it.

It seems I will have to add "After Forever" to my list of bands to look into
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #21 of 29
yeah well the mastermind behind Epica is an ex-After Forever musician (Mark Jansen)

If your going to get into After Forever, grab both Decipher and Remagine (and perhaps Prison of Desire if you like a rawer, more gothic sound)

Dec 3, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #23 of 29
How about some Mercyful Fate? Their singer, King Diamond, sings like the counterpart of death vocals at times
biggrin.gif
Excellent metal nonetheless. Check out their Melissa album.

And if you're going to give Megadeth another chance, try listening to the Youthanasia album, very easy to get into and still my favourite of their works.

Dec 3, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 29
I forgot to mention...

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: deinfinitely not "metal" and actually classified as "post-rock" and I would better describe them as something closer to epic ambience (they are almost purely instrumental, with a very wide colleciton of instruments/sounds). Their songs are usually 15-20+ minutes in length and each builds and builds into something amazing. They take a few listens to get use to , but are definitely worth a look for some fatastically crafted music.

Megadeth is decent, I first listened to them with their Cryptic Writings album. Pretty decent throughout.

Dec 4, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
yeah well the mastermind behind Epica is an ex-After Forever musician (Mark Jansen)

Interesting, didn't know that. I think, I'll have a listen to Epica, since I'm very fond of After Forever. I once saw them as warm-up act on a Nightwish concert, and was really blown away.

Dec 4, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #26 of 29
Communic - Conspiracy in Mind
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment, and Liquid Tension Experiment 2. Dream Theater without vocals pretty much.
Pain of Salvation - All of their albums are pretty damn good, but Be is more of an orchestrated play than a metal album and 12:5 is solely acoustic.
Freak Kitchen - Appetizer, Organic, and Move. Appetizer is more along the lines of 90's hard rock while Organic and Move are more based as a fusion of Vai-esque guitar work and metal. It's really different.
Ayreon - The Human Equation is an amazing album. It does have a bit of death vocals though. (They show up on like 1 song)
Blind Guardian - Night at the Opera and Nightfall In Middle-Earth. (More Lord of the Rings-esque metal for ya
icon10.gif
) The singer for Demons and Wizards is the same.
Planet X - They're very much like Dream Theater (Ex-DT keyboardist, Derek Sherinian, also plays in Planet X)
Sun Caged - I haven't really listened to them too much, but most of my friends who are into Dream Theater really like them, so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Bruce Dickinson

Totally off topic, but wasn't Bruce Dickinson the name of the producer who was in the Blue Öyster Cult Cowbell Skit on SNL?

Dec 4, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyFender
Planet X - They're very much like Dream Theater

Planet X is like Dream Theater in the same way that a chocolate cake is like a giant turd.

..and Freak Kitchen rules \m/

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyFender

Totally off topic, but wasn't Bruce Dickinson the name of the producer who was in the Blue Öyster Cult Cowbell Skit on SNL?

No idea, but Bruce Dickinson is the lead singer of Iron Maiden, and he has a solo project
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back