Good metal without death vocals...
Dec 1, 2005 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

KyPeN

100+ Head-Fier
Constantly on the search for new metal, I seem to have hit a bit of a roadblock. I love metal, the instramentals, everything, but I hate death vocals. I wanted to like Opeth, but I just can't get passed his screaming (I'm almost able to get though Ghosts of Perdition after like 5 tries).

I just discovered Porcupine Tree and I'm in love. My other interests include Rhapsody (shadup!
very_evil_smiley.gif
), Demons and Wizards, Helloween, Dream Theater, Metalica of course, Rush, Nightwish, neo-classical guitarists like Steve Vai and Michael Angelo Batio, Symphony X, Pantera, and Threshold just to name a few.

Here are a few I've tried and just don't have much of a taste for: Iced Earth, Megadeath (I need to give these guys another try though), Pagan's Mind, Queensryche (didn't like Empire, Operation:Mindcrime is good though), Mastodon.

The more I look, the more I find this particular type of screaming I just can't stand. Take Dimmu Borgir for example. I read that their lead singer did part of the vocals of Kamelot's "March of Mephesto" from "Black Halo," was intrigued, obtained an album, and heard death vocals. Another letdown. Opeth was the same. Meshuggah too, who were hyped up big time, but I simply can't listen to that screaming! Please help!

As you can tell, I really like more neo-classical/prog metal, few things are too far out there (Rhapsody = Lord of the Rings metal for god's sake). But please post anything for other people who may come by this thread.

Dec 2, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by KyPeN
Constantly on the search for new metal, I seem to have hit a bit of a roadblock. I love metal, the instramentals, everything, but I hate death vocals. I wanted to like Opeth, but I just can't get passed his screaming (I'm almost able to get though Ghosts of Perdition after like 5 tries).

I just discovered Porcupine Tree and I'm in love. My other interests include Rhapsody (shadup!
very_evil_smiley.gif
), Demons and Wizards, Helloween, Dream Theater, Metalica of course, Rush, Nightwish, neo-classical guitarists like Steve Vai and Michael Angelo Batio, Symphony X, Pantera, and Threshold just to name a few.

Here are a few I've tried and just don't have much of a taste for: Iced Earth, Megadeath (I need to give these guys another try though), Pagan's Mind, Queensryche (didn't like Empire, Operation:Mindcrime is good though), Mastodon.

The more I look, the more I find this particular type of screaming I just can't stand. Take Dimmu Borgir for example. I read that their lead singer did part of the vocals of Kamelot's "March of Mephesto" from "Black Halo," was intrigued, obtained an album, and heard death vocals. Another letdown. Opeth was the same. Meshuggah too, who were hyped up big time, but I simply can't listen to that screaming! Please help!

As you can tell, I really like more neo-classical/prog metal, few things are too far out there (Rhapsody = Lord of the Rings metal for god's sake). But please post anything for other people who may come by this thread.

Give Iron Maiden a try. In the last few days they have become my favorite metal band. Metallica is great, but I think maiden are by far the best at metal.

Dec 2, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 29
Iron Maiden
Bruce Dickinson
Blaze
Kamelot (theres no death vocals on any Kamelot CD)
Sonata Arctica
Virgin Black
Ayreon
Therion - Vovin & onwards (male & female vocals)

as for female vocal metal

The Gathering - Mandylion, Nighttime Birds, How To Measure a Planet, Souvenirs
Nightwish - Wishmaster, Century Child
Edenbridge - Sunrise in Eden, Arcana, Aphelion, Shine
Lullacry - Crucify My Heart, Vol. 4
Leaves Eyes - Lovelorn, Vinland Saga
Midnattsol - Where Twlight Dwells
Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm
Ambeon - Fate of a Dreamer
Diluvium - Aurora

are the ones i listen to

Dec 2, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 29
Theres more bands then anyone could ever possibly list, so I'll just list the ones that I listen to regularly. As far as I'm concerned all of these bands are worth checking out.

Blind Guardian
Candlemass
Various Devin Townsend solo projects
Green Carnation
Jag Panzer
Judas Priest
Katatonia (anything after Brave Murder Day)
Running Wild
Skyclad
The Lord Wierd Slough Feg
Tyr - "Eric the Red"

Dec 2, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 29
For "normal" hardrock/metal (slightly like Metallica?) singing instead of loud and high falsetto try out : Sentenced, Charon. Cryhavoc, Amorphis, Anathema, Cathedral, Silentium and Turisas.

There really is a lot of stuff in the middleground beetween death vocals and power metal with almost comically high pitched vocals about dragons and wizards. Start off with Sentenced, they have been an inspiration for like half of the metal bands in Finland.

Dec 2, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 29
Metallica
Moonspell (a band from my country, Portugal
biggrin.gif
)
Angra
Ayreon
Arjen Lucassen
Dream Theater
Stratovarius
Symphony X
Sonata Arctica
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Rhapsody
Iron Maiden
Running Wild
Manowar
Helloween
Edguy
Avantasia
Queensryche
Within Temptation (the first ones)
Iced Earth
Tool
Megadeth
Therion

Check these out.You won't regret it

EDIT: just saw, some of the bands I've said, you've already heard, but I'll keep them here anyway
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 29
Later Within Temptation does not
wink.gif

(that means [Mother Earth] and [The Silent Force])

Dec 2, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 29
Yeah I agree, dont like Mother Earth all too much and i hate the Silent Force!

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #14 of 29
I heard a track by Heaven's Gate on the radio on the way home from work and I really kind of enjoyed it. I don't listen to much power metal because a lot of it has very operatic singing and the material is a little goofy sometimes. But that Heaven's Gate track was pretty rockin'...

So, I was thinking.. (seems like a good thread to ask this) .. what are the definitive "Power Metal" albums?

I know that as a genre it's pretty vague..

But does it all go back to Helloween? Blind Guardian? Or back to Maiden? I've never heard Maiden refered to as "Power Metal" ..

It's not like I'm a huge fan or anything, I was just curious where ya'll think it started.. what are the couple power metal albums that everyone owns?

-jar

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #15 of 29
I'm a power metal fan, and my tongue is partly in cheek while i write this, but not entirely.

Coming up with a list of "definative" power metal albums is impossible, as power metal is entirely comprised of similar sounding tripe. Ever since helloween everyone has been ripping everyone else off. It's all sondalike singalong anthem stff or guitar wankery to the nth power. Or both at the same time/in the same song
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back