Good Mac based media players?
Sep 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mrvile

Headphoneus Supremus
So my school made me get a MBP and I've finally switched over to using it full time. I really am not a fan of iTunes, but unfortunately Winamp and Foobar, the two programs I loved on the PC, aren't available for OSX. Right now I'm using VLC Player somewhat temporarily, but it's rather unexciting. Does anyone know any other good media players for Mac?

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 19
iTunes on the Mac rules, there is really no point in using anything else for music. Bitperfect output, perfect integration with iPod/iPhone.
I used to use Foobar when I still had a PC, now I'm perfectly happy with a Mac and iTunes. And VLC is a must for everything else.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 19
Is there any way to get iTunes to sort my library by file names instead of by tags? Most of my music is untagged and I really don't want to go through tagging everything...

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my school made me get a MBP and I've finally switched over to using it full time. I really am not a fan of iTunes, but unfortunately Winamp and Foobar, the two programs I loved on the PC, aren't available for OSX. Right now I'm using VLC Player somewhat temporarily, but it's rather unexciting. Does anyone know any other good media players for Mac?

VLC can play anything & even broken files.

but VLC also has the worst audio quality ever.

even iTunes is better by far.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 19
Mrvile, I know how you feel. I just switched from a Windows based computer to a MacBook. About the only feature I like on i-tunes is the playback quality. However, I still have some wma files I haven't converted. Empirically, the wma files offer superior SQ to i-tunes.

Like anything new, it's taking awhile to get used to the new product. Some things I like, others not. Same with Windows, some I miss, others I don't.

BTW, be very sure to have your files backed up. The computer was new, I had 75% of my music library loaded, but not backed up. Then upgraded to the newest version of i-tunes. Good bye library. Even the employees at the Apple store could not ressurect my lost files. Lucky me, I get to reload everything. Fortunate that all I loaded was CDs on file.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 19
WMA is empiracally better than "itunes"? How do you figure? wma lossless is lossless just like flac, alac, shn, ape, etc. wma compressed files are no better than any other compressed file at similar encoding settings.

As to the lost files, I find it hard to believe the source music files were deleted. It's possible the database was corrupted, but that's easily remedied by importing the data files again. If the data files were lost, then it wasn't the upgrade that got them.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, when you import it, it'll generally use the filename as the trackname is there are no tags

Oh, I did not know that. I just remember using iTunes a while back on my PC and a lot of my songs were hard to find because of tagging issues. I guess I can try it again on my Mac.

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 19
Sep 22, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 19
Just retag a little every time you listen.

It feels nice to have a clean library.

iTunes really is a phenomenal player for OS X. It's the way it's meant to work. Aside from that, I like COG

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now if itunes played flac, and monkey's audio...

FLAC -> Fluke: iFLAC your Mac
No such luck for Monkey's Audio though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back