Aug 17, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
Hmm .. Obviously if I ever bought W100 I would only wear them
inside. But I'm looking for something I could go outside with (take
the bus or simply walk around) without feeling like I'm walking
with a 400 bux coconut on my head.

I'm looking for something along the lines of V700 or HDJ1000
(looks speaking). And well.. sounding, I don't really know actually.
Never tried any of these before.
rolleyes.gif

This is a picture I saw when I was considering the ATH-A9X first. I thought "Nah, that's gotta be exaggerated" but actually, it's pretty accurate. If anything, the cones as shown below are understated. Coconuts would be an overstatement, but in the case of the W100's a couple of wooden orange halves strapped to the side of your head would not be an entirely inaccurate description.

wing.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Maybe all reviews should contain a paragraph describing the on head look. For example:

The well dressed urban male is seen here at the local airport sporting a pair of Etymotic 4s's. Notice the way he has swept the cable behind him, reducing microphonics and at the same time not blemishing the look of his Ralph Lauren blue button down collar shirt. Although he cannot hear a thing he knows all eyes are on him as he approaches the ticket counter......

Now that's funny !
biggrin.gif

If this keeps up we'll soon have little flash animations with runway models sporting various cans for our viewing pleasure...
very_evil_smiley.gif
Hmmm, wait a minute, if they're Victoria Secret models this might be interesting...
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Headphones. No ear thingies for me. I don't like having rocks in
my ears :|

Don't knock'em till ya try'em. They're definitely not rocks...

Aug 17, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #35 of 54
Haha, john_jcb, if I ever decide to write a headphone review (470-some posts and I still haven't!) I'm definitely including a style portion to that effect.

JiPi, if you're concerned about looks, I think a lot of the Koss lineup look good. The KSC-50 and -55 are pretty good-looking, and sound good, from what I hear. Some of their full-sized cans are nice-looking too. ...

... But if you want the best in hi-sty, you gotta go with the Koss Cheesephones:
cheesephones_lg.jpg

kerelybonto

Aug 17, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #36 of 54
Oh no, kerelybonto, you've been digging through Koss's bargin bin again, haven't you ?
biggrin.gif

And btw, one look at that avatar and I'm hypnotized !

Aug 18, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #37 of 54
Damn, thanks for the tip kerelybonto .. The KOSS really _do_ look
good
cool.gif
They are really cheap too, though. So I guess that
means sound quality isn't very great?

Zanth, I'm in Quebec
rolleyes.gif
Just next to Ottawa.

Nobody have an idea of the HDJ1000 price range? I wanna know
because I might just save my money (more money) for these.
They look pretty sweet.. Curious about their sound though.

Aug 18, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

FYI: HP-1000 range in between USD500+ to USD800 now. Search the Gear for sale/trade section or some past threads here you will know. Valuation is dependent on accessories, condition, whether they come in the original box set and most importantly whether they have the Grado reference cable. Hope this helps.

Aug 18, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #41 of 54
I think you guys got it all wrong.
I've seen some unidentified cans on the street that look cool.
The thing is: Wear them Grados and ATs!
Set the trend! Don't you want those streetstyle idiots to ask you about your cans?
Look good? **** that! Wear good sounds! Encourage others to do the same.
For some reason, I am seeing others wearing full sized cans with their portables. Apparently, not everyone is concerned with looks.
if it sounds good, they will come.
md

Aug 18, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Damn, thanks for the tip kerelybonto .. The KOSS really _do_ look
good
cool.gif
They are really cheap too, though. So I guess that
means sound quality isn't very great?

Zanth, I'm in Quebec
rolleyes.gif
Just next to Ottawa.

More or less the same as the V700's, I'm led to believe - Audio Cubes (www.audiocubes.com) is taking pre-orders.

And the Koss do have good sound. You'd have to spend a lot more to get a similar sound. The problem is on two fronts: a) Quality control - I guess what can you expect given the price, and at least your money is going towards where it counts - the drivers, and b) Leakage in both directions. Not suitable for use outside, unless it's quiet. Buy a pair anyway.

Aug 18, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
I think you guys got it all wrong.
I've seen some unidentified cans on the street that look cool.
The thing is: Wear them Grados and ATs!
Set the trend! Don't you want those streetstyle idiots to ask you about your cans?
Look good? **** that! Wear good sounds! Encourage others to do the same.
For some reason, I am seeing others wearing full sized cans with their portables. Apparently, not everyone is concerned with looks.
if it sounds good, they will come.
md

Well I'm certainly not encouraging anyone to wear Grados outside...

Aug 18, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #45 of 54
In 1997 I bought my first pair of Grados, the SR-60s. I bought so I <b>COULD</b> where them outside. I wrapped the cord as ti was a bit long, but I was surely setting a trend just before the year 2000 when larger cans were becoming common for portable use. At first I would get some funny looks but I was doing my undergrad and most people expect funny things. I let a bunch of people listen and they were amazed. Why not wear the Grados? They look cool, Alicia Keys even wears them outside if I remember correctly...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back