Good knife set?
Apr 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #16 of 38
I'm no expert, but I've been very satisfied with my little Henckel 5-star set I got at Christmas. The chef's knife gets the most use, by far, but a good utility and carving knife come highly recommended, whatever you end up with.

You should be able to get a good Chef's knife for well under $100.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest that even the best knife is useless if it's not sharp.

The best value sharpener I have found is AccuSharp; easy to use and effective. My mother-in-law loves it because she can now sharpen her own knives.

Maybe a decent sharpener is an alternative to new knives, or is it that your parents' knives are falling apart somehow?

That is a good way to ruin a knife. If you want to sharpen them the right way, you need a primary bevel angle and a back bevel.

Read all about knife sharpening here, and you will learn how horrible those electric grinders are for knives:

eG Forums -> Knife Maintenance and Sharpening

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #18 of 38
This thread says theres a page 2, but when i click page 2 to see more posts, it just stays on page 1. Is anyone else having that problem?

Ok, this message will probably end up on page 2 and never be seen, ummmm lovely.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #19 of 38
Apr 17, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #20 of 38
Chinese cleaver is the way to go for versatile knife - you can chop carrot, whack a fish-head, thin slice vegetables, crush onion with the side, bring it to gangsta fight, etc...
Very good value for money.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 38
I've been cooking for a few years in a restaurant. The knives the place has are pretty crappy, mostly end up mushing the food around before it will cut, so instead i just whip out my penis and cut it with that, works everytime.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redarath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been cooking for a few years in a restaurant. The knives the place has are pretty crappy, mostly end up mushing the food around before it will cut, so instead i just whip out my penis and cut it with that, works everytime.

Was that really a necessary comment?
confused_face(1).gif

Ill never eat at that restaurant.
confused_face.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Why would you want to cut your penis with that blunt restaurant knife?

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Not only is that horrible advice, i hope you get fired for cross-contaminating your meat.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #25 of 38
These look like a nice set of Henkel.
Not sure that they are though.

basic_knife_kit.jpg

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest that even the best knife is useless if it's not sharp.

The best value sharpener I have found is AccuSharp; easy to use and effective. My mother-in-law loves it because she can now sharpen her own knives.

Maybe a decent sharpener is an alternative to new knives, or is it that your parents' knives are falling apart somehow?

The dimond sharpening will also wear away your blade very quickly, which you wont want if you invested some more in a decent knife. Professionals rarely "sharpen" the edge using dimonds or sharpening stones, instead we use a steel to straighten the edge of the blade. The advantage with a good blade is that not only is the steel hard enough to get it very sharp, it also stays sharp longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These look like a nice set of Henkel.
Not sure that they are though.

A very decent set, my friend has the same set. Personally I don't think they hold the sharpness long enough.

With this you should get very very far: MAC Knives Chef Series 8-in. Chef's Knife - MAC Knives Chef's Knives

Or if you want to invest for the future, get this one: MAC Knives Professional 8.5-in. Chef's Knife - MAC Knives Chef's Knives

Excellent knife.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #29 of 38
Henkel litereally isn't what it used to be. They were purchased by another company some years ago and no longer operate to the same standards or even in the same factory.

Another german knife maker purchased their factory. I don't recall their name.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #30 of 38
Wow, I never really thought about kitchen knives until I read this thread!
Now I really want this!!
What do you think if I only buy one knife and it is this?

Shun Damascus Chef's Kitchen Knife 8" Blade by Ken Onion with Wood Stand $199.95

8718kershaw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back