Good introductions to diff. manufacturers' sounds?
Feb 16, 2007 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zaurusman

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'm just starting out, and this site has been really great for research.

I've been reading a lot here in the past few weeks, and it seems common that a person forms a preference for a certain manufacturer's "sound," or a select few manufacturers' sounds. In order to avoid a total wallet hemorrhage, I'd like to try out these "house sounds" with the least expensive specimen of each that represents the brand accurately, like the SR 60 for auditioning Grado sound. That one's pretty easy to spot, but what about other well respect and popular brands? I assume Senns shouldn't be represented by their $25 earbuds, for example. I'm particularly curious about AKG (the 81DJ maybe? or would an open model be more indicative of the high end?) and Audio-Technica (the SJ5?) at the moment.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 10
For Grados, definitely the SR60. That will give you a good idea of what the Grado sound is all about, and might even "plant the seed" for future grado purchases down the line
very_evil_smiley.gif

First thing that pops in my mind with Sennheiser is 580/600/650. They are cut from a very similar cloth. The 580s can be had for pretty cheap from amazon, and will give you a good idea of that type of sound. The problem with Senn is that they have so many freaking budget models, and a lot of them sound different from each other. The one that headroom really recommends I believe is the hd201.

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 10
It could probably be argued that AKG has two house sounds - the Kx01 sound and the K2xx sound. Agreed that the K501 is a nice gateway into the Kx01 sound, and the K240S is a good gateway into the K2xx sound.

The Audio-Technica gateway is definitely the ATH-A500.

And the Sony gateway is the legendary MDR-V6/MDR-7506. If you don't like the V6, chances are pretty good you won't like any Sony cans (as I personally found out).

I don't know if Beyerdynamic has a house sound. The three Beyer cans I've heard sound completely different from each other (DT770-80, 2006 DT880, DT250-80). No wait, now that I think about, those Beyer cans sure do have some nice bass...
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 10
MS-1 for Alessandro....which "sounds" just like MS2i....which "sounds"(so I understand)just like MS-Pro.

So yeah; I guess MS-1.

smily_headphones1.gif
>
3000smile.gif
>
rs1smile.gif

....ok; I know it's not an MS2i smiley, but it looks kinda silvery at a glance.
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Wow, that's a long list.
blink.gif
No wonder nobody's ever "done" in this hobby!

Thanks for all the ideas, guys!

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Grado SR80 for Grados. I dont think SR60 is that good starting point for Grados cuz of comfy pads. Different sound from bowls. Alternatively SR60 AND getting bowl pads for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Alessandro MS1 for Alessandro house, neutral side of Grados.

Ultrasone HFI-650 for Ultrasones, maybe.

For Beyerdynamics, its difficult cuz they are all so different. They have all kinds of sounds.

Sennheiser HD595 for Sennheisers.

AKG K501 for AKG.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Grado - SR60
Sennheiser - HD555 and HD580
AKG - K501
AudioTechnica - A500
Alessandro - MS1
Beyerdynamic - '03 DT880
Westone - UM1
Shure - E4 (any of the E-series below this are yuk)
Etymotics - Altec IM716
Ultimate Ears - Super.Fi 3

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back