Good Inexpensive Interconnects
Feb 10, 2007 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

mlhm5

100+ Head-Fier
I have a few pair of these and the cable is double shielded like the Canare LV-77S, however this pair does not have the stranded center. Cable is balanced and the connectors are gold plated and similar to Switchcraft.

58-9705.jpg

Price $3.99

If you don't like them, you can return them within 90 days - no problems with this supplier.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care about the looks or shielding...only how they sound...for 3.99, come on...it might be decent at best.
blink.gif
cool.gif

I replaced all of my interconnects and they sound great.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 40
What "balanced" means in an unbalanced RCA IC???
confused.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What "balanced" means in an unbalanced RCA IC???
confused.gif

Balanced means that it is grounded at only one end of the cable so there are directional arrows that point away from the source. Away from the preamp to the amp and away from the CDP to the preamp.

Does balanced sound any better? That is a question for a separate post.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 40
For a double shielded directional cable such a low price seems like a very good deal. I don't like the fact that the specs indicate none of the following data though:

Gauge of the wires (20 awg? 22 awg? 24 awg?)
Metal the wires are made of (copper? silver plated copper?, silver?)
Type of wire (stranded, solid core?)

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 40
$4 doesn't seem to be too much to risk to find those answers

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhm5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I replaced all of my interconnects and they sound great.

So, i have high end cables...i won't trade em in for these.....Seems like a good deal though.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a double shielded directional cable such a low price seems like a very good deal. I don't like the fact that the specs indicate none of the following data though:

Gauge of the wires (20 awg? 22 awg? 24 awg?)
Metal the wires are made of (copper? silver plated copper?, silver?)
Type of wire (stranded, solid core?)

For that price i have no doubt it will be copper. It doesn't mean it can't sound very reasonable...i doubt it's a high end IC killer.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhm5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced means that it is grounded at only one end of the cable so there are directional arrows that point away from the source. Away from the preamp to the amp and away from the CDP to the preamp.

Does balanced sound any better? That is a question for a separate post.

This is not balanced, this is called directional shielding grounding, and of course it does absolutely nothing....the directional grounding is the first step into the voodoo in cables...BTW far better for a little more, and from the same dealer, actual coaxial, 100% shielding, teflon dielectric, etc...

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...5Fid=50%2D2155

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

This is not balanced, this is called directional shielding grounding, and of course it does absolutely nothing....the directional grounding is the first step into the voodoo in cables...BTW far better for a little more, and from the same dealer, actual coaxial, 100% shielding, teflon dielectric, etc...

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...5Fid=50%2D2155

Yup, much beter. Yes, the arrows only show you the way the shielding is running from the source to the amp..the shielding is at the sourceside and not at the amp side, this way it won't get in the signal path. Haven't tested it yet for IC's but i did for powercords and it sounds much better without any shielding!!!

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone use the premium interconnects from Monoprice? I like these cables very much for the price.

For that money, i would try. It won't hurt if you don't like em, it's just 3 quit! They say on par with 30 quit cables..i know what you get for 30 dollars and it is nowhere near high end performance...these are quite good for the price but don't think you'll buy really high end performance on a budget!

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

This is not balanced, this is called directional shielding grounding, and of course it does absolutely nothing...

...of course? Of course it shows your ignorance. It's not balanced, but pseudo-balanced, and the shielding absolutely does its job, without the need for a coaxial design with asymmetrical conductor geometry.

Quote:

The directional grounding is the first step into the voodoo in cables...

No, it isn't. It's the logical design consequence, and theoretically it's better to put the grounded end on the source side -- as has been mentioned -- to prevent interferences from travelling to the amp.

Quote:

BTW far better for a little more, and from the same dealer, actual coaxial, 100% shielding, teflon dielectric, etc...

In what aspect is a coaxial cable better? Maybe the shielding is a tiny bit more effective -- but who cares if it's enough and one likes the symmetrical conductor design better!

BTW, the shielding of cables is only needed for certain configurations, particularly power amps -- because of their high gain factor --, whereas it's dispensable with headphone amps with effective gain factors below 1. Shielding even has an adverse effect on the sound quality in that it increases capacitance, which is audible (I've tested it myself).

P.S.: The most cost-effective way to get a good interconnect is to build one yourself (supposed you have the time, the skills and like the work).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back