good inexpensive cd player
Jul 20, 2009 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Antony6555

500+ Head-Fier
Recommend me a cd player that can be had for $150-200 new or used. I'd prefer a neutral or bright sound. SACD compatibility and other extra features are nice but not needed. I want the best standard cd playback for the price.

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 12
The Sony SCD-CE595 might also fit your needs. They usually hang around $100, but I've seen refurbs sell around $60. I got one around there and it serves in a second system down in the desert. It isn't an expensive deck, but it still gives you the benefit of SACD.

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 12
The SCD-CE595 is a good entry level SACD player, especially if you're looking for something on the bright side. Its sound is more analytical than musical however if paired with the right equipment, it's a good player for the money.

Edit: Should've added, make sure you want a brighter player. I'm moving to Denon because the Sony's glare is just brutal with my new B&Ws.

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 12
I have an OPPO DV-980H and think it's a very capable player that sounds great. It doesn't have much in the way of frills and won't win any beauty contests, but is a very good universal player and it's worth every penny and then some.

--Jerome

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 12
The OPPO player can do SACD and DVD-Audio. It's a very versatile player and they even make firmware updates from time to time.
Review here

However, this might not be the best transport of all time: Cirus-Logic DAC chip, switching power-supply, etc...

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 12
At this price point you can't expect much...that being said are you sure you want a bright CDP ? To me that usually brings with it edge and grain that makes long listens a fatiguing (literally and figuratively) experience.

You want to enjoy the music am I right ? A better option would be a neutral CDP that delivers some slight musicality. Small sins of omission are better than small sins of commission if you follow me
smily_headphones1.gif

At 200US the CDP you settle on will certainly have both types of drawback in varying degrees (from OK to awful)....the trick is to find the one you can live with. What amp and headphone are you intending to use with it ?

The NAD series CDP's are good place to start for neutral/slight musicality. The NAD house sound depending on model is slightly dark but detailed with very little in the way of edge or grain. Which is good IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

If you plan on buying used it can be a hit or miss proposition since transports have moving parts and a built in MTBF (mean time before failure rating measured in thousands of hours) limit on the laser/tray assembly. Look for a lightly used CDP if you buy second hand otherwise it's best to look at new units for a "certain period of longevity" and of course, warranty support. A lot of the T's made a few years back (and used in varying low end players) are no longer in production so it's tough to get a replacement. Just about all the transports made today are DVD types with just a small sector being made for standalone CDP's. I still prefer CDP only transports since they don't need the additional circuitry and processing that the Universal player needs...that being said if you have a variety of source material (SACD/DVD A, CDR's, MP3 discs,Divx etc) then the Universal is your only choice.

My suggestions are of course my personal preferences so take the advice with a grain of salt......

Peete.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At this price point you can't expect much...that being said are you sure you want a bright CDP ? To me that usually brings with it edge and grain that makes long listens a fatiguing (literally and figuratively) experience.

Yeah I'm sure I want a bright dac. I find the er-4s' bass unamped to be sufficient for most music, so maybe that gives you an idea of my sonic preferences, haha.

Well, I've gotten some good suggestions so far. The Sony sounds good-for the price we may have found a winner. Oppo also looks good. Any more suggestions?

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 12
Jul 22, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by noxlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OPPO player can do SACD and DVD-Audio. It's a very versatile player and they even make firmware updates from time to time.
Review here

However, this might not be the best transport of all time: Cirus-Logic DAC chip, switching power-supply, etc...

What's wrong with CS chips? or does it really matter when it is used in transport?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back