Good IEM for US$100 maximum for cousin.
Sep 19, 2007 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SactoMan101

500+ Head-Fier
I have a first cousin who recently got a refurbished 5.5G iPod video 80 GB and wants to know what good in-ear monitor (IEM) he can get for at maximum US$100.

He's narrowed it down to these choices:

Etymotic Research ER-6i
Shure SE110
Ultimate Ears metro.fi 2
Ultimate Ears super.fi 3

The Shure SE110 should sound reasonably good, thanks to the balanced armature driver and big driver casing for this IEM. I've read good things about the super.fi 3, since it also uses a balanced armature driver.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 15
Why didn't you consider the Crossroads X3? They're cheaper and have (i.m.h.o. ) better bass then the Sures and are more comfortable then the Etys.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone listened to the se110 yet?

The SE110 has just only started reaching retailers, and I don't think many folks here on Head-Fi have heard them. I did read two online reviews and both said that while no equal to the SE310, the sound quality is quite good, thanks to the large casing behind the driver (the problem with the Creative Labs ZEN Aurvana IEM was that due to the small casing around the driver, sound quality suffers).

The Crossroads Mylarone X3 sounds like a great deal, but it's not easy to get here in the USA, though. I'm surprised nobody has commented on the UE super.fi 3, which sounds like a good deal at US$70 from Amazon.com.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 15
What kind of music does he listen to? The reason for this question is IEMs, just like headphones, have different sound signatures. There isn't really a "better" just like how, say, K701's aren't better than HD650's.

Is he looking for neutrality, clarity, crisp highs, or is he looking for thumping bass etc.?

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 15
JBL refference 220 are realy good with choice of you can use as earbud or IEMs.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of music does he listen to? The reason for this question is IEMs, just like headphones, have different sound signatures. There isn't really a "better" just like how, say, K701's aren't better than HD650's.

Is he looking for neutrality, clarity, crisp highs, or is he looking for thumping bass etc.?

He's looking for good, neutral sound--and a place to get them easily without doing an online order. He's seriously considering getting the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 at the local Guitar Center in Sacramento, CA (since this store is an authorized UE dealer).

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 15
I plan on getting the X3's sometime in the near future. My first in ears
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radagascar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some senn cx300s on the way from amazon...for $20 new I thought they'd be good bang for the buck...I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.

you better cancle that order quick, 99% of the 20 (usually costing 60) and under senns on amazon are fakes.

remember... if its too good to be true, it isnt!

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 15
By the way, my cousin has dropped his concerns about online ordering and got a set of new Ultimate Ears super.fi 3's--should be arriving in a few days.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, my cousin has dropped his concerns about online ordering and got a set of new Ultimate Ears super.fi 3's--should be arriving in a few days.
smily_headphones1.gif

You should have your cousin do the cable switch mod when he gets them. There's a thread somewhere... Here it is. Be careful with the foam tips. The foam just slipped off the inner tubing on mine. If this happens to your cousin's, have him email UE, they sent me a new set at no cost. If he's looking at getting a starter portable amp as well
evil_smiley.gif
, I've had good luck with my CmoyBB sold on eBay (Head-fi user blackinches).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back