Good high-end system with vinyl? (Originally: Need an idea for a electrostatics rig!)
Oct 21, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #31 of 42
^ thanks!! I took a look at that already
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ thanks!! I took a look at that already
wink.gif

I support your thoughts of electrostatis w/ vinyl - it's a natural. I very much enjoy my Stax 3050 w/ Pro-Ject RM10/Sumiko Blackbird. I much prefer it with that source to anything digital. I find the electrostatic rig tends to emphasize everything I don't like about digital, but has great synergy with analog. You might also like the Stax 3050. My advice though, if you're committed to electrostatic and have money to burn is go with Omega and 717, which is what I will do when I have the time to track them down. -Tim

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #33 of 42
mikeg

i've red and followed that post and bookmarked it. important post. sticky?

you can use every kind of vinegar?
i use a knosti machine, everything by hand.
do you mix the vinegar with water

25 cents a lp. that's nothing.!!!
i pay 1,50-2 euro for used ones

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by twestby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I support your thoughts of electrostatis w/ vinyl - it's a natural. I very much enjoy my Stax 3050 w/ Pro-Ject RM10/Sumiko Blackbird. I much prefer it with that source to anything digital. I find the electrostatic rig tends to emphasize everything I don't like about digital, but has great synergy with analog. You might also like the Stax 3050. My advice though, if you're committed to electrostatic and have money to burn is go with Omega and 717, which is what I will do when I have the time to track them down. -Tim

thanks! when I get my cartridge tomorrow, I'll try out on my AD2000 first, just to see the difference

My vinyl setup is supposed to be bit more forgiving, so I just got to start buying LPs now
wink.gif

My goal is to hunt down a pair of O2 mk1s and find/order a good amp to match it by christmas-ish.

I hesistated for a while, since there seem to be conflicting results on stax and vinyl combo, but we'll see
wink.gif

Now I gotta upgrade my dynamic rig to match o2s... oh boy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mikeg

uh, okay.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mikeg

I don't dilute the vinegar with water. I use it full strength.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #37 of 42
Twestby raised a point about "digital" sound and electrostatic phones. I agree with him that vinyl sounds much better than digital on electrostatic phones. My only caveat is that if one listens to both, one has to actually determine if electrostatics are suitable for digital listening.

I have found the Stax Omega II (with the tube interface/amp) to be a particularly revealing and demanding component. The lack of any upper bass or mid-bass bump means that it leans toward the dry and analytical side. I found it hard to make the phones sound relaxed and musical even with analogue sources and my CD player is even more problematic (Naim CD555). Also, the solid state linestage I used in the past (Levinson No. 32) was not a perfect match (as solid state gear goes, this linestage is a touch dark and dull, so most other solid state gear would be even worse). The Omegas work reasonably well with my current linestage (Emotive Audio Epifania), but, I heard it sound fantastic with the top-of-the-line Kondo linestage.

In short, you should first determine if an electrostatic is acceptable with your current electronics (linestage, digital sources) and your particular taste. If it works, I'll wager that vinyl will sound very good too.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #39 of 42
Yes, I am referring to upper bass and mid bass (60 to around 300 Hz) region. The Omegas, to me, have reasonable deep bass response, but are on the lean side when it comes to this region (lean compared to speakers in a room, which usually get a room reinforcement bump).

I should make it clear that I really do like the Omegas a lot, particularly for their clarity and lack of resonant overhang to notes, but, they put a big demand on selection of other components. Because I mostly listen to speakers, I have made component choices that do not favor the Omegas. For example, my choice of phono cartridge (Lyra Titan) would not be my choice if the phones were a priority because this cartridge does tend to be a little hot on top and slightly sibilant.

What I am now contemplating is the purchase of a good amp/interface. I have no experience in this area, which is why I have recently come to this forum. I am looking into the Blue Hawaii SE, and the Rudistor model that is in the same price range, and would appreciate any helpful comments on other alternatives. I am less interested in more power than I am in finding a touch warmer sound.

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #40 of 42
Rednamalas1;4886785 said:
thanks! when I get my cartridge tomorrow, I'll try out on my AD2000 first, just to see the difference

My vinyl setup is supposed to be bit more forgiving, so I just got to start buying LPs now
wink.gif

My goal is to hunt down a pair of O2 mk1s and find/order a good amp to match it by christmas-ish.

I hesistated for a while, since there seem to be conflicting results on stax and vinyl combo, but we'll see
wink.gif

I hear ya'. I'll ping you if I find an extra MkI/717 if you'll do the same.

Trick is to have equivalent back-up; get a Zana Deux/HD-650 rig and you will be hard-pressed to tell the difference from the Stax w/ vinyl, at least according to my ears. Of course, you gotta have both - variety being the spice of life and all ....

-Tim

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by twestby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Fingers crossed that both of you find a nice pair of used SR-007 and SRM-717's.

There are a system (SR-007BL and SRM-717) in the FS forum. It may not be a screaming deal for you overseas people though...?

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #42 of 42
twestby;4910949 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

Trick is to have equivalent back-up; get a Zana Deux/HD-650 rig and you will be hard-pressed to tell the difference from the Stax w/ vinyl, at least according to my ears. Of course, you gotta have both - variety being the spice of life and all ....

-Tim

well I still need to get some money first :p - right now, AD2000 (of all phones) sounds amazing with Vinyl setup - It's probably not the best combo, but it's still a massive improvement over Keces DAC. I'm still scavanging for vinyls here and there, and I'm starting from the 60s and 70s - Led Zepplin, ELO, Beatles, Floyd, Genesis etc. I'll gradually work up to the 90s soon
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fingers crossed that both of you find a nice pair of used SR-007 and SRM-717's.

There are a system (SR-007BL and SRM-717) in the FS forum. It may not be a screaming deal for you overseas people though...?

Hmm not a great deal for us - since canadian doller is plummeting
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back