Good high-end system with vinyl? (Originally: Need an idea for a electrostatics rig!)
Oct 8, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #16 of 42
i love stax
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love stax
evil_smiley.gif

I would love to own one two....but huge collection of vinyl within reach
frown.gif
really compromises this...I heard SR-404 before and it wasn't at all what I was expecting - I expected it to be completely dry
frown.gif
... I'm dying to know what St.Matthews passion would be like on omega
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cary 306/200 cdp/dac, akg k501 and a dynahi for your objective would work.

6000$ for a source seems a bit too much though :S

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #22 of 42
i owned the next model down the 303/200 with senn hd600 and thought very highly of it. one of the better cdp's out of the hundreds available in the 1-3k price range. when i heard the 306 it was a level better but retained the same signature which was clean natural sound, bass was quite strong and soundstage was good size. my taste has changed and pretty much turned a 180 since then but for classical music it's right up your alley.

ayre cx-7 and sim audio supernova (bit more expensive) also ones to look into.

the reason for being cheaper now is because cary has newer models out now plus street price is usually lower than msrp to begin with and used prices go around half that after a given time frame.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #23 of 42
thanks for great info
wink.gif
!

It seems that I'm getting quite confused from nature of vinyl - I have conflicting opinions of matching vinyl with stax omega....would this work? or would stax be too punishing on surface noise? I'm very confused.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #24 of 42
Many uses vinyl sources with Stax and enjoy it. If you buy a higher end turntable with a nice needle there might be nothing to complain
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #26 of 42
I find ticks and pops from vinyl to be LESS intrusive on electrostatic headphones than with other kinds of headphones or speakers (I use Stax Omega II). My theory is that these phones are so fast and do not store energy so ticks and pops go by very quickly and the diaphragm does not continue to resonant and draw out the sound of the anomaly.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #27 of 42
If you invest that kind of money into a vinyl rig, you might want to spread your budget like this : 2000-2500 on the TT, phono stage, arm and cartridge, 500 on record cleaning devices (will greatly decrease the surface noise), and 4000-4500 on the setup. That could get you something like a VPI scout with a good cartridge installed, a pro-ject tube box preamp and a brand new VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine. I'll leave you will all the Estats concerns now
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #28 of 42
thanks! I already got my vinyl rig (see my sig.) and cartridge and phono stage arriving any day now...I saved up tons by buying my gf's dad's barely used TT.

thanks for the help though
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #29 of 42
i prefer vinyl more than cd using headphones, also electrostat.
vinyl is "faster", detail, more dynamic, "real", more everything than cd. only the pops and ticks and it's less convenient than cd.
but the sound of analog. ooh, i switched 180.
a more neutral sounding TT = DD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back