Good hi-fi stores in Tokyo?
Dec 22, 2009 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bat King

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm making a trip up to Tokyo over New Year's and was wondering if anyone knew some good hi-fi stores in the Tokyo city area, or even in the inner suburbs?

I'm thinking headphones especially, but anything hi-fi would be good.

I'm imagining treasure troves of vintage cans, and STAX superstores - I'm crossing my fingers at least part of that is true.
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 7
If you are looking for headphones start at Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera -- locations in both Akihabara and Shinjuku (Akihabara stores are bigger). Or Yamagiwa (got my Stax there). If you have limited time, Akihabara is better. Better food, better looking women in Shinjuku. There are some good vinyl stores in Tokyo -- a little harder to find.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 7
The Yodobashi Camera recommendation is a good one. I don't think I've been to the Shinjuku store, but I've been to others around Tokyo, and they don't compare to the Akihabara location. That place is HUGE. Looking for that $5k phono cartridge? They'll have it. Stax? You bet. I made the mistake of not getting a Stax setup when I was there in November, but I may be back in February. The only bummer is the strong yen, though the dollar has been creeping back up over the last week. I haven't tried the duty refund at Yodobashi. Doing that will give you a 5% discount.

You'll find plenty of gear in the small shops in Akihabara. Just roam around and see what you find. Unfortunately most of the new gear is cheaper outside of Japan. Things like Stax is the exception, however.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 7
I never really looked at the name of it, but in Akihabara, on the main street next to it there is a huge record store and a few stores down from it is a nice shop.

You can test out headphones: I remember seeing Beyerdynamics, Grados, and Sonys... I didn't get a chance to look at their portable selection.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Sorry for the only Japanese web site, however if you have time and would like to see somethings special other than shopping only then I suggested you may want to check these two:

DYNAMIC AUDIOEEEyƒCƒ“ƒ|[ƒgEƒnƒCƒGƒ“ƒhƒI[ƒfƒBƒI”Ì”„E”ƒ‚¢Žæ‚èz@
This one is huge and they showing many super hi-end things that not easy to find in the world (and the price also in the top of the world, too) It is close to the Akihabara JR station.

diskunion: å‰ç¥¥å¯ºã‚¸ãƒ£ã‚ºï¼†ã‚¯ãƒ©ã‚·ãƒƒã‚¯é¤¨
This may not be a good hardware shopping place but they do have some 2nd hand product for sale. This is one of the biggest chain store for 2nd and new Jazz and classical CD shop. If you are interested to get some high quality recorded classical music this one cannot be missed.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Make a pilgrimage to Akihabara and visit Ishimaru Denki, my time was limited but I managed to spend over an hour listening to variety of headphones from Senns, AT's, Beyers, JVC, Denon and of course Stax...sorry no Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back